Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   figit quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/figit-quilt-t278154.html)

Jakers1 04-28-2016 06:13 AM

figit quilt

The wife of a friend of mine has early onset Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. I want to make a figit quilt for her, about lap size so she can use it as a nap quilt as well. I have ideas for what to put in it, but is there anything that you can suggest that should be included. I have buttons, ribbon, prairie points in satin, denim pocket, beads, lace, and some other things as well. Any other suggestions? In looking at Pintrest, I get the general idea, but maybe you can help with more definitive things. I am going to visit her and will also talk with the nurse for ideas. The quilt will be X's and O's, so there are lots of seams to use. Also, any ideas how and when to quilt it?

gramajo 04-28-2016 06:34 AM

Zipper, empty thread spool.

Bree123 04-28-2016 06:45 AM

I'd maybe quilt it with a different color in each section. They say that color is the last memory that Alzheimer's patients remember (it's the reason why wings of Memory Centers are typically painted different colors). Also, quilt it before adding dimensional pieces.

Different sizes of rickrack might be fun.

PS - You mentioned beads. Would be neat to maybe get a length of thicker silk (like in jewelry section) and have it so she can move the beads back & forth like an abacus. Also could do a fuller row where the beads just spin around the thread.

willferg 04-28-2016 06:46 AM

I've read about people using the inner bags from cereal inside a block – it's washable and it makes a crinkly noise when crunched.

PaperPrincess 04-28-2016 07:03 AM

recent post:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...g-t277837.html

bj 04-28-2016 07:59 AM

I've been gathering ideas for a quilt for my mil. One idea I saw and thought was interesting was sewing a marble inside a maze block. Then the marble can be maneuvered around inside the maze, but it won't come out. My mil will spend a long time with my grandson's I spy quilt looking for different animals and things. So I plan to add some small I spy type blocks also. MSQC's how to videos has one that explains how to do a flying geese block with one seam. You can end up with a block with two pockets if you don't stitch down the diagonal. I thought she might like a little mirror attached with ribbon. I also plan to put a pocket with a zipper and put photos in it. I bought some fake fur in a long strip that I think would be fun just sewn in a swirl on a block for tactile purposes. I'm still thinking and gathering ideas and things, so I plan to watch carefully here! Thanks for starting this thread!

Quiltngolfer 04-28-2016 09:10 AM

Some great ideas here! Maybe do a lacing block, different textures like chenille, minkee, vinyl, fake fur. Do pictures of family members, or put in one of the press & play music buttons like in Christmas ornaments, or a pocket block.

just_the_scraps_m'am 04-28-2016 10:59 AM

remember to keep it simple due to attention span being very short.....

what about jingle bells? they could be tied on with ribbon, although i'm not sure how washable they would be, they may have to be removed & replaced ...

you could also make up different games by putting bottle caps under a mesh/see through netting, such as voile so that their fingers could move the pieces on top of the board underneath & not be lost OR use a zipper to add game pieces or-- something simple like a 9 patch [3 in a row]

Sassylass 04-29-2016 02:19 AM

I made one and added their name in little cubed blocks that he could push back and forth. ,think I got them at thee Dollar Store. Make sure when you add all this, that they can't pull it off, bright colours and blocks made of favorite things in the past for them. I put animals, tractors,trucks etc. but with a lady you can add lace hanky, measuring spoons,miniky(sp) etc.

DOTTYMO 04-29-2016 02:29 AM

I made a quilt for an Alzheimer suffer. I used MSQC quick method for a cathedral window and made the fold backs flap. Inside each diamond I put fabric with pictures on of things he enjoyed. The quilt was heavy and stayed on his knee or Bed. The family wanted a quilt they could use but no extra bits of lace , zips buttons etc.