Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Filling in boring setting triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/filling-boring-setting-triangles-t306126.html)

SueSew 08-04-2019 03:36 AM

Filling in boring setting triangles

Making placemats, using a plain (nine-patch) star block on point, there is a lot of empty space there.

Wish I'd thought of that before I made ten blocks!

Has anybody ever setting triangles in more than one piece, to give it some pizzazz? Maybe a stripe parallel to the edge which joins the block? That would echo the block itself.

The other thing I could do is put them back squared instead. Doesn't look so nice to me.

The blocks are 16 1/2" square and I was figuring to cut off the top and bottom corners to be 12 1/2" and add a couple strips on the sides to bring it to 18 1/2" raw.

What do you all think?

I appreciate any suggestions!

cjsews 08-04-2019 04:11 AM

I have added strips as a result of miss cutting. My setting triangles were cut too small. It looked good. Also had a class where there was a square sewn into the tip of the triangles. Sorry, no pics as all quilts have left the house

Tartan 08-04-2019 04:34 AM

​I look at open spaces now for some fun with my rulers and ruler foot quilting. They are your placemats you can do what you think will look nice.

Barb in Louisiana 08-04-2019 11:51 AM

You can piece anything. Look up the Dear Jane quilts. You can create your own fabrics with strip piecing and cut your triangles out of those. You can fussy cut a focus fabric and applique it to the center of the triangles. Your quilted placemats, your choice.

SueSew 08-05-2019 03:03 AM

Wow, good ideas all.

I'm not an applique-er and not much past lines and meanders in free motion but I bet I could do oversize pieced triangle and cut with my 12" square ruler to the proper shape.

Jane Stickley is certainly inspirational ... and I did see a couple blocks simple enough that I dare try the concept. To get the stripes to line up, I might be challenged, but maybe I could do it by piecing on the striping a piece at a time so I get the angles right at each go-round. Then cut the corners to a sharp 90 degrees. Maybe make myself a paper piecing pattern...

Wow, I'm so glad I thought to write in - I haven't been to the board in ages,or done much quilting of any interest, not since I finished my Washington Star bed quilt. Thanks again!

feline fanatic 08-05-2019 07:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I find large setting triangles the ideal spot to do fancy quilting. They are especially well suited to curved cross hatching that you can mark and do with a walking foot. I did these on a LA with CCH rulers but if you mark and go slowly you could do it with a domestic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615668[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615669[/ATTACH]

QuiltnNan 08-05-2019 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 8285424)
I find large setting triangles the ideal spot to do fancy quilting. They are especially well suited to curved cross hatching that you can mark and do with a walking foot. I did these on a LA with CCH rulers but if you mark and go slowly you could do it with a domestic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615668[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]615669[/ATTACH]

beautifully done

Macybaby 08-05-2019 08:25 AM

when I grow up, I want to be as good as feline fanatic! Though I know I'll never get there unless I practice a lot more!

Rhonda K 08-05-2019 01:35 PM

Have fun with them and use them as a design element. As you can see with the quilts above, triangles don't have to be boring. Beautiful quilts!

SueSew 08-19-2019 05:42 AM

Feline, gorgeous quilting! I love the thought that I can do the curved cross-hatching on DSM with walking foot... given lots of practice. I am studying how you filled the background to 'erase' the piecing.
Thanks much!