Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   It finally came into Walmart ($1.50-$2.00 fabric) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finally-came-into-walmart-%241-50-%242-00-fabric-t177041.html)

valsma 01-26-2012 10:11 AM

It finally came into Walmart ($1.50-$2.00 fabric)

A few weeks back I posted a topic about a tip the manager at our local Walmart told me about two pallets of cheap fabric coming in.
Finally it came in the other day and I stopped to look at it. There are lots of pretty prints in everything from florals to juvenile prints and others. So here's the thing the bolt end says "undetermined fiber content." If I had to guess it is a poly/cotton blend. Thin and not good enough for quilts. To bad to there are some beautiful prints I would love to buy.

valleyquiltermo 01-26-2012 10:17 AM

figured that would be the case.

Rosewood9 01-26-2012 12:15 PM

I think that too much time is spent on a quilt to use fabric that has the warning unknown on it. Just sayin....

valsma 01-26-2012 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rosewood9 (Post 4913271)
I think that too much time is spent on a quilt to use fabric that has the warning unknown on it. Just sayin....

I totally agree. If it had been of better quality and stated 100% Cotton I would have bought some. I was even going to until I got to looking real close at the bolt end. Then I said, nope changed my mind. Even I will draw the line on the kind of fabric that is unknown fiber content and not worthy of my time for a quilt.

JabezRose 01-26-2012 02:24 PM

I have used it, just make sure it is washed and dried. You can hold it up to the light and see through it before washing and drying. After washing and drying it is not so bad. We donate a lot of quilts so when we can get a deal, we go for it.

wendsy 01-27-2012 08:57 AM

I'd like to say I love using 100% cottons and I usually stick with cottons, but poly/cotton blends do tend to hold up well against many washings-especially for kids quilts that go through a lot! I am also one to use whatever material I take a fancy to. My usual rule of thumb is if the quality is good use it-I will admit that the results don't always come out as I initially thought it would ;)

bearisgray 01-27-2012 09:24 AM

If the fabric seems to be cotton and decent quality - and I like the print - I would probably buy it. I check unknown fabrics by burning a bit of it to see if it has a man-made fiber in it. I also wash (and dry) fabrics before cutting them.

valsma 01-27-2012 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 4916052)
If the fabric seems to be cotton and decent quality - and I like the print - I would probably buy it. I check unknown fabrics by burning a bit of it to see if it has a man-made fiber in it. I also wash (and dry) fabrics before cutting them.

I totally forgot about that little technique, though im sure they wouldn't appreciate me burning it at that store. LOL I wash all my fabrics before they go into my stash. I prefer they shrink, fade, bleed or whatever before I sew. This stuff is really thin and you can see through it. The weave doesn't seem to be very tight either.

Mad Mimm 01-27-2012 03:26 PM

There are two huge bins of $1.50 per yard fabric at my local Walmart - but when I touch it, it is thin enough to read through, scratchy, flimsy, and so poor quality, I would not use it for ANY quilt. I have not seen a stitch of fabric in my local Walmart worth buying - at any price. I sure hope your shop gets some better choices in.

Lois-nounoe 01-27-2012 04:43 PM

I bought some fabric that was $1.00 a yard (the 5 yard bolts) cause I really liked the print. That was after they discontinued fabric and started bringing it back in the bolts. Found out if you press on hot it will do some funny things! But if you press on a cooler temp it seems to do okay and quilts aren't usually pressed after they are done. One of the associates, years ago, told me when you see it on sale and the sales tag is RED it was marked down so you will get a better quality for your money. I still watch what I buy though but Wal Mart is the only thing I can really afford. Even when Joanne's has a sale it is still more then I like to pay.