Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finally found a Dry Iron!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finally-found-dry-iron-t207233.html)

GrannieAnnie 11-30-2012 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Passionate Quilter (Post 5687422)
I have been looking for a dry iron for quilting as I was tired of trying to iron fabric smooth from the holes in a steam iron. Saw on this board that people had found them and ordered from Vermont Country Store. I had searched their catalogs and website for one and never found one. Recently found it listed again and quickly ordered one, arrived yesterday and I am so pleased with it. Thought I would let you all know in case it had been on your listed of "wants", would make a great Christmas gift. If you are interested it is called Classic Dry Iron and stock number is 42277. Love this board, lovely people willing to help each other, and tons of great ideas and inspirations. Thank you all.

Okay, what is the purpose of buying a separate "dry" iron when all you have to do is NOT add water to your steam iron? you all must know something I don't.

snipforfun 11-30-2012 03:07 PM

I had to send 2 of them back to the Country Store. One overheated and I think the 2nd one did the same. Finally just asked for my money back. Im glad I had saved my receipts.

Quercus Rubra 11-30-2012 03:54 PM

I LOVE MY old vintage irons!!!! They stay hot, don't shut down, have no holes in them and run about 2 1/4 and 2 1/2 pounds so they do the "heavyweight" work so I have LOT less pain in shoulders, arm and back. I got mine thru e-bay and ever so much happy for it.

Tricia

BellaBoo 11-30-2012 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5690182)
Okay, what is the purpose of buying a separate "dry" iron when all you have to do is NOT add water to your steam iron? you all must know something I don't.

I guess we do! LOL. Really the holes in the steam iron is what we don't like. Those holes do not heat the fabric evenly which makes a big difference when using fusible or applique pieces.

Belfrybat 11-30-2012 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5690332)
I guess we do! LOL. Really the holes in the steam iron is what we don't like. Those holes do not heat the fabric evenly which makes a big difference when using fusible or applique pieces.

Also, some hole designs grab the fabric and end up distorting the portion of the block. I use a travel iron with a smooth plate when pressing small pieces -- works so much better than my fancy pants steam iron.

GrannieAnnie 11-30-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5690332)

All you have to do is to move the iron so that solid metal hits where the holes were a couple seconds ago. I 'm still missing something!

JNCT14 12-01-2012 04:44 AM

I raved about the dry iron after my mom bought me one. Then it stopped working and Vermont Country Store couldn't get them. They found them again and I promptly ordered another one and also wrote a review for them. Best iron I have ever used and reasonably priced.

cpower 12-01-2012 05:49 AM

Ok ladies, you really should be looking at an Oliso Pro Iron! and don't put water in it if you don't like steam! The bottom is flat, flat, flat! I do recommend that you catch one at a quilt show! Cheaper that way! They are hotter, have a 12ft cord and a two year warranty! I love mine, own two of them, one for steam, one dry! Worth every penny!

totosmom 12-01-2012 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by cpower (Post 5691158)
Ok ladies, you really should be looking at an Oliso Pro Iron! and don't put water in it if you don't like steam!

Well, yeah, Chrystina, but not everyone wants to spend $150 or $200 on an iron, dry or steam. I just don't buy into that Madison Avenue hype. My GE Classic -- without water -- works just fine for me. JMHO

maviskw 12-01-2012 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5690746)
All you have to do is to move the iron so that solid metal hits where the holes were a couple seconds ago. I 'm still missing something!

The spots where the holes were would still get a different amount of heat. Some people are purists, and I can see their point. I am not a purist, but I have had issues with those holes showing up when I really wanted to get some heat on a spot and pressed for a while. And I have always been wondering why my iron never got really hot. I always said, "Hasn't scorched yet." - Like the Bon-Ami chick.