Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finally get "foundation piecing"! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finally-get-%22foundation-piecing%22-t116953.html)

quiltjoey 04-17-2011 07:05 PM

I finally understand foundation (paper ) piecing! Have C. Doak's book and tried with it many times I but learn better from watching a demonstration. I found the Connecting Threads video about paper piecing on you tube and began to understand the concept as I watched. The lady explains it really well. You can watch it over and over to really understand it. I made a paper pieced block yesterday and am amazed at how fast it went together. I printed the pattern from my E7. I think I will only paper piece from now on. I found that there is very little waste of fabric with this method. I love it... If you are trying to learn paper piecing, I recommend watching the Connecting Threads video.... Good luck!

aurora41 04-17-2011 07:08 PM

It is addictive. I finally did some paper hearts and I want to do some more.
I will watch the Connecting Threads video.
Thank you for sharing this info.

sushi 04-17-2011 07:18 PM

I'm glad to hear about what worked for you! I've bookmarked your message so I can refer to it if/when I finally get enough courage to try paper piecing.

sueisallaboutquilts 04-17-2011 07:20 PM

I'm a visual learner as well. I took a class with Carol several years ago. Isn't it fun???

quiltjoey 04-17-2011 07:41 PM

It is so fun, fast and very rewarding as everything comes out perfectly! All points on point and blocks and triangles straight! It's amazing and I can do it! I am not good with cutting accurately so this works much better for me...

littlehud 04-17-2011 07:49 PM

Thanks for the heads up about the video.

Painiacs 04-17-2011 09:12 PM

Yea! I did kimono blocks pp. Had enough for 3 quilts so far! Like pp too!

TonnieLoree 04-17-2011 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by quiltjoey
I finally understand foundation (paper ) piecing! Have C. Doak's book and tried with it many times I but learn better from watching a demonstration. I found the Connecting Threads video about paper piecing on you tube and began to understand the concept as I watched. The lady explains it really well. You can watch it over and over to really understand it. I made a paper pieced block yesterday and am amazed at how fast it went together. I printed the pattern from my E7. I think I will only paper piece from now on. I found that there is very little waste of fabric with this method. I love it... If you are trying to learn paper piecing, I recommend watching the Connecting Threads video.... Good luck!

I love it when people share their "aha!" moments. It takes a twisted mind to fully understand how this works. :thumbup:

SnowQuilt 04-17-2011 09:36 PM

Im doing my first pping now and am surprised how easy it is. I was hesitant about doing it because it really looked difficult. I looked at some video's on youtube too and was impressed how easy it is. Would love to see it when your done. :)

annemarcellis 02-12-2012 06:21 AM

Yes, I confirm all the others. Just take practice & a different way of thinking. It's so fun to watch people's faces when they see all those tiny pieces. I just finished one for Christmas that had 186 tiny pieces-the finished quilt is 12" square! I would attach a picture, but don't know how. -any advice?