Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finally got the hang of it! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finally-got-hang-t21528.html)

GladGrams 06-19-2009 12:25 AM

A while ago I wrote in asking about the thread always breaking when I am free motion quilting. I just bought a brand new Husqvarna sewing machine and was sure there was something wrong with it.

Well, there was definitely something wrong, only the problem was --- ME :oops:

As a beginging quilter I was not running the machine at a steady speed and the stopping and starting and stuttering was breaking the thread. I have now spent untold hours practicing and guess what? NO THREAD BREAKS because I am now able to just let'er rip and stop worrying.

I am no where near being able to do any specific designs but am proud of finally gotten this far.

NEW QUESTION: Is it possible to do fancy designs using just my sewing machine or does one need a long arm? (which is way out of reach on my budget :mrgreen: )

Skeat 06-19-2009 01:30 AM

I am 'no' pro here, just a piddler of many quilts quilted(of my own) and yes, you do not need a long arm to do anything 'fancy'...:0)If you have mastered the flow of the machine and stitches and feel confident to move on to greater things...then it is time!LOL Using stencils and pounce or any other good marking tool I have found very helpful and easy. We will be anxious to see your quilting creations soon:)Skeat

key4unc 06-19-2009 01:31 AM

Congratulations on getting the hang of it. I'm still not very good at the quilting part. I have a LOT of quilt tops that are ready to be quilted but I keep making more tops because the actual quilting part is not yet an enjoyable process for me.

The only thing that limits you with a domestic machine is the size of the quilt. Although I have heard of folks who have quilted a queen-size on a domestic machine. Pantographs are designed for long arms. But if you found one that you really loved, you could always transfer the design to the quilt top with a quilt-marking pen.

Quilt4u 06-19-2009 02:13 AM

Congrats on your machine quilting. I still need a lot more pratice on my machine.

GladGrams 06-19-2009 02:16 AM

I was too naive to think about needing expertise to complete a quilt. ROFLOL, I thought the piecing of the top together WAS quilting! When the teacher in my first class told me I had to sew rows of stitching crosshatched over my beautiful patchwork, I was not happy about it! :evil:

You can imagine I was the laugh of the class when I expressed my displeasure. Guess I won't ever live that one down!

I am learning now that the top stitching can make or break the pattern. I decided to make 7 little sample pieces for my grandchildren and one a big larger for a friend's child. I used these in an attempt to try out different patterns of my own design; I am still not secure in being able to use an actual pattern to follow. So I tackled, straight line, stitch in the ditch, out lining and free motion now I need to train my eye for what looks best, where and what can ruin things.

At least the thread is no longer breaking.

Quilting Aggi 06-19-2009 02:52 AM

wooo hooo!! I'm so glad you are getting in the swing of things with your new machine and no more breaking threads! I have a Husqvarna too and I looooooooooove my machine!

sandpat 06-19-2009 04:37 AM

Congrats on your progress so far! I use only my little domestic machine and I've done several rather large quilts...108 x 95. I just stuff them right through the hole! It works, so no...you do not need a LA, although it would make it lots easier :wink:

Roben 06-19-2009 06:13 AM

If you get the chance, pick up a copy of Joanie's Quilting Elements by Joanie Zeier Poole - the book comes with a CD with some PDF designs to practice with. Joanie is awesome, does her competition quilts on home sewing machines. Her website is http://www.heirloomquiltingdesigns.com (I got my copy at Joann's.)

Just somebody else I want to be when I grow up :lol:

mytwopals 06-19-2009 06:22 AM

Granted a longarm does make intricate patterns easier to quilt, especially larger patterns. But you can make the same designs with your home sewing machine. It takes a lot of practice, practice, practice, but it can be done. BTW - It takes a lot of practice to do on a longarm, too! There are some well known quilters using only their home machines to quilt award winning quilts.

carrieg 06-19-2009 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by Roben
If you get the chance, pick up a copy of Joanie's Quilting Elements by Joanie Zeier Poole - the book comes with a CD with some PDF designs to practice with. Joanie is awesome, does her competition quilts on home sewing machines. Her website is http://www.heirloomquiltingdesigns.com (I got my copy at Joann's.)

Just somebody else I want to be when I grow up :lol:

After looking at this website, I realize I saw this woman and her quilt at the 2008 Chicago show. Her quilting is awesome!

I need to practice my quilting.... :?