Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finally got my first practice quilt off the longarm frame!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finally-got-my-first-practice-quilt-off-longarm-frame-t148308.html)

isnthatodd 08-27-2011 12:17 PM

I have been working on this off and on since last winter, fianlly got it done. I learned a lot, mostly that I don't think I will try to quilt the Quilt of Valor I made. I put too much money into it to ruin it with my quilting. I have some small ones to do, then may have more confidence. I did notice that my stitches improved somewhat towards the end in that they were more even. This makes me appreciate the longarm quilting I see on the board even more than I already did, if that's even possible. Not sure what I will do with the first one. I could bind it and give it to a homeless shelter, or cut it into pieces to give to an animal shelter.

loves_2_quilt 08-27-2011 12:20 PM

:)

craftybear 08-27-2011 12:24 PM

keep your first one

Practice Practice Practice

Originally Posted by isnthatodd
I have been working on this off and on since last winter, fianlly got it done. I learned a lot, mostly that I don't think I will try to quilt the Quilt of Valor I made. I put too much money into it to ruin it with my quilting. I have some small ones to do, then may have more confidence. I did notice that my stitches improved somewhat towards the end in that they were more even. This makes me appreciate the longarm quilting I see on the board even more than I already did, if that's even possible. Not sure what I will do with the first one. I could bind it and give it to a homeless shelter, or cut it into pieces to give to an animal shelter.

ckcowl 08-27-2011 12:56 PM

you should keep your first one- so years from now you can look at it and remember- back when i started :)
it takes practice for all of us- when you look at quilts on the board long-arm quilted just remember- that quilter has a (first one)too- and it is probably quite different from the ones you are seeing now. everyone has to start somewhere- and we all have to practice.

mandyk 08-27-2011 03:29 PM

Didn't you know that most of us longarmers were perfect from the git go? Feathers, curls and micro stitching are lodged in my body.

DeeBooper 08-27-2011 04:21 PM

LOL...I'm sure it's not that bad!

quilttiludrop 08-27-2011 06:51 PM

Congratulations on diving in and giving it the first try! The 2nd one is always easier!

isnthatodd 08-27-2011 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by DeeBooper
LOL...I'm sure it's not that bad!

There are actually several spots where it looks pretty good! The starts and stops are not good, and the line 1/4 inch in isn't always, but I will keep going !!!!!

And yes, I will keep it and hang it proudly in my studio.

medots 08-27-2011 08:52 PM

you go girl, you can do it, just takes time and parctice. It gets to be so much fun.