Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finding formulas for on point quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finding-formulas-point-quilts-t320365.html)

quiltsfor 03-30-2023 06:47 AM

Finding formulas for on point quilts

I have been thinking on whether I want to set my Log Cabin Quilt blocks on point, but was having issues with trying to figure out how many blocks to make it for the size I wanted, since I'm not using a printed quilt pattern.

In doing some research, I found a great sight that gives you a downloadable chart for different block sizes, that shows how big the blocks are diagonally, and also gives the sizes needed for cutting the corner triangle and the side/top/bottom triangles. You need to download the Reference Chart to see it, it is in PDF format. This way you can figure out how many blocks to make your quilt to get the size quilt you want.

(Note: The site has some quilt pictures, but if you stroll down the page, the Reference Chart is for On Point blocks like what they show down the page with the corner and side triangles pointed out.- the reference chart isn't a pattern of the quilt shown)

Site: APQS - Quilt Forever site

Downloadable Reference Chart (tab for download also found on site page):
On Point Reference Chart (PDF format)

cashs_mom 03-30-2023 10:40 AM

Oh, wow! It even has a chart for the setting triangles. I'm working on a quilt now that I'm going to need those. I don't have a pattern, I'm just working from pictures so these will be really useful. Thanks!

GingerK 03-30-2023 02:08 PM

This is great! Thank you! One does have to remember that the block sizes on the first page are the finished size.

lindaschipper 03-31-2023 12:55 AM

These will come in handy some day. I keep charts such as these in a plastic sleeve in a binder. Love having a quick reference chart.

QuiltMom2 03-31-2023 04:01 AM

Thanks for posting the link: I've found it in the past and forgot to save it.

Quiltwoman44 03-31-2023 09:12 AM

Now that is helpful; thanks much. I printed it out.

quiltsfor 03-31-2023 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper (Post 8595035)
These will come in handy some day. I keep charts such as these in a plastic sleeve in a binder. Love having a quick reference chart.

I think I need to do this as well. I usually just keep reference charts on my computer, but it seems that when I need to reference them, I have to search high and dry for them.

ibex94 03-31-2023 04:09 PM

Great find! Thank you for sharing!

Lena1952 04-01-2023 04:53 AM

This is a super chart! Thanks for sending the link.

quiltsfor 04-01-2023 07:27 AM

I was hoping there was a reference chart like this out there. They are so helpful. I think it is really nice when crafters put things together like this and put the Reference Chart on the internet for others to use. The same with videos, showing how to do techniques.

Thanks everyone, I was thankful to find it as well!