Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finger Pressing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finger-pressing-t253887.html)

Caswews 09-18-2014 11:21 AM

Do you have a mini iron or a bone presser/creaser (I think that is the name of it)-mine is made out of bamboo and looks like a large tongue depressor with a point on the end. I use the both of mine when I go to the daughter's in UT and I don't want to take a large iron/board (she doesn't have either !LOL). I don't really have any good luck with finger pressing at all.

oldtisme 09-18-2014 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 6892555)
Why were you told to not bring an iron?

I agree...quilting without an iron is like sewing without thread?

oldtisme 09-18-2014 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 6892569)
I'm guessing the venue's electric wiring can't handle that many irons. They draw a lot of juice.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I actually think I have one of those wood gizmos... forgot about it!

They should have the venue at a place that can handle quilters and our electronic devises, they all go hand in hand.
jeri....but I'm not a pro by any means

oldtisme 09-18-2014 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter (Post 6893507)
I use half of a wooden clip clothespin to finger press. It has a slanted end and is just the right size. They usually slide apart easily at the metal spring.

The funny part is that my husband sees it laying by my machine and puts it back together thinking it is broken and he'll fix it. This has happened numerous times and I just take it apart again and not say a word. It has now become one of those little unspoken tender spots of love.

That is so sweet, my DH don't set foot in my sewing room unless he is grabbing one of his guitars. I know...strange to have 5 guitars in my sewing room, but I have to share ;)

Sew Krazy Girl 09-18-2014 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6892422)
I use a spoon but I hold it in my hot little hand and gives off a little heat. Also if you hold it against the sewing machine light bulb, it'll give off enough heat. A craft/popsicle stick works also.

Tessagin - what a great idea, using a spoon. I'll have to remember this . . . thx!

OCquilter 09-19-2014 12:04 AM

I remember my mom finger pressing. She would pinch the seams and then kind of fan fold them as she went along. Hard to describe but it doesn't distort the fabric especially if you have a bias. I have used the "little wooden iron" but prefer to do it mom's way.

Wintersewer 09-19-2014 03:37 AM

I use a small plastic wallpaper roller on a firm surface...works great.

nunnyJo 09-19-2014 03:52 AM

the little wooden pressing thingy works well.

Dodie 09-19-2014 05:50 AM

I was at a retreat once where irons were limited because they take lots of electricity and can cause problems with thrown breakers I am thinking this is the reason as they know how many will work to save an overload

wildyard 09-19-2014 05:53 AM

I love using the wooden clothes pin half as mentioned earlier. That beveled inside edge works perfectly. Just be sure to check for any rough edges first!