Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finished quilting ... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finished-quilting-t150676.html)

GiddyUpGo 09-05-2011 02:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)
So I just finished SID on my six-year-old's dragon quilt. I posted a couple of days ago asking for a pep talk because my wonky stitches were really upsetting me, and I just want to thank everyone who replied. I think I've finally decided to just go with it ...

When you stand back from the quilt (as many advised) it actually looks pretty good. You don't notice the wonky stitches and I think I actually managed to stay in the ditch more often than not. The other side, however, is a whole 'nother story. Tucks, tucks, tucks all over the place. (Yes I was using a walking foot but I've since learned that the carpet is not a very good place to make a quilt sandwich. Next time I will tape the backing to my linoleum floor. Lesson learned.) But the fabric is black, the tucks are all pretty small and since it's the back I'm not going to worry. Ripping it out at this point would probably mean starting all over again.

I did say that I'd post some pictures of the wonky stitches but unless one of you says "Oh my God! I wouldn't give that quilt to my evil ex-mother-in-law's hairless pet chihuahua (that bites!)" I'll probably leave it the way it is.

I have decided to take the Amish rule as my personal motto. In fact, I'm taking it so seriously that I have built not one but hundreds of errors into my quilt. After all, not only is God the only one who can make a perfect quilt, but God is also the one who blessed us with the technology to make a sewing machine and is therefore really the only one who can figure out how to work the damned thing.

Not bad!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252096[/ATTACH]

Oh, the horror!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252097[/ATTACH]

erstan947 09-05-2011 02:53 PM

Very nicely done. I think you are way to hard on yourself. Show your quilt with pride:)

katier825 09-05-2011 03:03 PM

You are being too hard on yourself! Your stitches aren't that far off - certainly not worth worrying over! Once the quilt is washed and puckers up a little, you won't even see it. Quilting is supposed to be fun and relaxing...don't worry so much! I'm sure your 6 year old won't notice anything wrong.

Amythyst02 09-05-2011 03:05 PM

I am sure he will love it and isn't that really all that matters ? Would be nice to see the entire quilt!! Another picture please : )

LivelyLady 09-05-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by erstan947
Very nicely done. I think you are way to hard on yourself. Show your quilt with pride:)

Ditto :D

GiddyUpGo 09-05-2011 03:17 PM

Just have to add the binding ... When I'm done with that I'll post a picture!

nativetexan 09-05-2011 03:28 PM

well no body is going to look that closely! at least most people won't. so don't fret. it will be fine.

suebee 09-05-2011 03:58 PM

Im sorry but this made me laugh. But on a serious note....dont beat yourself up, its fine...we've all been there and YES...we learn from our mistakes. Keep on quilting!!

Monika 09-05-2011 04:01 PM

It is NOT bad at all........another case of being "your own worse critic"!!!!

sahm4605 09-05-2011 04:03 PM

I like it. And let me tell you they don't care how awful we think it is. Made by mommy special will always win them over.