Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finishing Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finishing-quilts-t74725.html)

hperttula123 11-06-2010 06:19 PM

I know I don't finish the quilting and binding on most of mine right away, but when I feel like it and have the time.I do go back and I'll spend as much time as possible to make sure they are all done. Having three kids and a full time job makes it hard to get lots of quilting done. I don't have a long arm at home. It's at my mom's house. So I have to have everything ready so I can take it over and throw it on the machine.

mama's place 11-06-2010 06:24 PM

Wish some of you who like the finishing work lived close by.
Right now I could use some help catching up with the finishing. Always want to try a new technique, etc. Have trouble staying with one thing at a time. One of my resolutions to catch up and not continue to do that.LOL

Sadiemae 11-06-2010 06:29 PM

I have a lot of tops, mostly smaller ones. I don't have the money for material and batting, so they are not finished.

featherweight 11-06-2010 07:03 PM

I wish I could quilt my own. I have had surgery on left hand and my hands and wrists are to darn weak to quilt anything bigger then a baby quilt or lap quilt. So LAQ here I come!!

glisten 11-06-2010 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper
I do all of mine from start to finish. I mainly quilt for my own pleasure and if I give someone a quilt and they like it, that's nice too. Some of them turn out better than others. I haven't mastered FMQ but still do it and my SITD sometimes is off too. Sometimes I have a few things "in the works" but I like to finish things too. Just the past week I finished a baby quilt except for a little bit of binding left to sew on, a table runner, and the scrap quilt I talked about in a new thread starting "Experiment...". Now I'm working on a braid quilt. I saw the "method" on quiltville and am using scraps. And I finally found something I don't like to do - bury the threads! I don't like the way backstitching looks sometimes, so just leave them long and then bury them when done. Tedious!!

I am looking at your quilt as your signature picture. It is so lovely. Did you just pick pleasing colors and sew the triangle blocks in your own order? I also love purple, it caught my eye.
from glisten

Stitchnripper 11-06-2010 07:58 PM

Thanks. Yes that is just what I did. No particular order of things. I may attempt a real "pattern" one of these days but they seem to overwhelm me.

Stitchnripper 11-06-2010 07:58 PM

Thanks. Yes that is just what I did. No particular order of things. I may attempt a real "pattern" one of these days but they seem to overwhelm me.

OneMoreQuilt 11-06-2010 08:29 PM

I love every part of the entire process --- from start to finish!!! I am also surprised at the number of quilt tops some people have made but have not finished. I guess some just like to piece! I am a LAQ and I love when someone brings their bunch of tops to me to finish. I never tire of the thrill of watching the transformation from just a top to a finished quilt. Remember....It's not a quilt until it's quilted!!

katesnanna 11-07-2010 12:08 AM

Thank you all for your answers. I must remember that not everyone is retired. I should give thanks every day. I have been retired for about 8 years now (retired early but worked hard to get there) but that doesn't mean I get to sew & quilt whenever I want. Oh! for a perfect world.
To quote John Lennon," Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans". My other plans include quilting, embroidery & knitting as well as friends & family. The gym, walking & Weight Watchers must be part of life.
This forum is one of my great pleasure as well as the people on it. Happy Quilting all.

zennia 11-07-2010 02:08 AM

I have a lot of unfinished quit top because I dont have the room to spread them out to put the backing on.