Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finishing you quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finishing-you-quilts-t70504.html)

mhansen6 10-19-2010 11:45 AM

Some of us work full time and don't have the time to quilt ourselves. I also do not have a machine that can handle the quilting. I found a lady who is an artist with a long arm. She always makes my quilts look better. Someday when I retire I hope to be able to quilt my own, until then I will let Sandy quilt my tops.

wolph33 10-19-2010 11:50 AM

We have a long arm and quilt for our selves and quilts to sell.But I am scared to death to do some one else's quilt-in case I screw it up

campion 10-19-2010 11:54 AM

It must be lovely to have your quilts quilted for you but I agree I would worry about my quilt getting messed with and what if I didn't like the quilting.
As it is I can't afford to have them quilted----that's why it takes me ages to finish a quilt---say's me typing on here instead of sewing!!!!

MadQuilter 10-19-2010 12:01 PM

I have only sent one quilt out to be done by a long-armer. It was a set of 20's butterflies that came from a friend's grandma's stash and I had put it together for her. It required more than SID and I was nowhere near ready to do anything else. SO I paid to have it done.

Now I am taking classes so I can finish my own. It is not a matter of money for me but a matter of stubbornness that I "need" to do the work start to finish.

I did ask for (and received) help to finish the FMQ on Kennedy's Raffle quilt. Again - above my competence. I so do appreciate anyone who has the skill to do the swirly patterns.

kclausing 10-19-2010 12:03 PM

My sister-in-law has a long arm and actually runs a business out of her home finishing quilts. She has offered to do mine, but to be honest I am afraid to let her see my quilts in any kind of up close and detail. She is a pro, I am an amateur. I think I'd rather struggle on my little machine, where my quilting may not be perfect then to let a pro expertly quilt my only so-so quilt.

I can understand letting a pro do a quilt that is perfect. if a quilt is that good, it deserves profesional quilting. But I am not that good yet.

trolleystation 10-19-2010 12:51 PM

I have no patience with free motion quilting. I am always anxious to get going on the next quilt. I do, however, do the hand binding on all my quilts because I want to do the finishing touches on my project. I have access to an excellent long arm quilter.

Lori S 10-19-2010 01:15 PM

For me the stress of dealing with a large quilt and a regular sewing machine was so frustrating. My shoulders ached , my head pounded.... and there was the envitable ...PUCKERS... It was a huge relief to work with Long arm quilters. Before I used to read the batting instructions and find the batting that required the least amount of quilting. The long Arm people I have worked with do a better job and do much more quilting than I ever would.

Butterflyblue 10-19-2010 01:25 PM

Well, I get a sense of pride from doing a quilt "start to finish", however, working on my home machine, and at my current skill level, I know that my quilting isn't as good as can be done by a good professional. So when I made a special quilt for my daughter's bed, I sent it out to be quilted. I can't afford to do that all the time, though, which is why I am working on perfecting my quilting and learning different quilt-as-you-go techniques.