Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Firming up the bag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/firming-up-bag-t185949.html)

AnitaSt 04-13-2012 04:54 PM

I made a bag with a fusible product called Inn-Control Plus....it's a layer of foam rubber with fusible on one side. It definitely made a firm-sided bag and I used it for the bottom too. But...my sewing machine balked at more than two layers of it (with fabric) and I had to sew slowly on even two layers. But it made a very sturdy and professional-looking bag. I used a pattern from Keepsake Quilting and got the foam stuff from them also but I think it's available from the manufacturer's website.

jaciqltznok 04-13-2012 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5138491)
this is how I use plastic canvas for the bottoms, inserting it in a 'pillowcase' with its end tucked into the curve. it stays very rigid
[ATTACH=CONFIG]327469[/ATTACH]

I just love this! IF only I could find some cheap plastic canvas!

jaciqltznok 04-13-2012 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Debbie C (Post 5138943)
I use the corrugated plastic to wrap my fabrics instead of comic boards. Whenever we have local elections, I run around the day after and pick them up, wash them off and cut into 6X9 inch rectangles. I NEVER have to buy comic boards!! That's one way to keep them out of the landfills!!

OH my....I need to do this!

jayelee 04-13-2012 06:13 PM

Buy some of those plastic cutting boards at your nearest dollar store and cut two pieces to fit the bottom of your bag then make a pillowcase of fabric to slide it into and place in the bottom of your bag

Dolphyngyrl 04-13-2012 07:28 PM

Use Peltex in the bottom that will really firm up the bottom, and two layers of the fusible fleece in the body of the bag. I really like the floriani better than the pellon but it is way more expensive than pellon

Handcraftsbyjen 04-13-2012 07:56 PM

You can use Inn Control or inn Control Plus by Innovative. The difference is that the plus already has fusible on it if you want to fuse it it. I love the Innovative products. Inn Spire and also Inn Spire Plus are similar to Peltex but you can shape them.

Handcraftsbyjen 04-13-2012 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by AnitaSt (Post 5139024)
I made a bag with a fusible product called Inn-Control Plus....it's a layer of foam rubber with fusible on one side. It definitely made a firm-sided bag and I used it for the bottom too. But...my sewing machine balked at more than two layers of it (with fabric) and I had to sew slowly on even two layers. But it made a very sturdy and professional-looking bag. I used a pattern from Keepsake Quilting and got the foam stuff from them also but I think it's available from the manufacturer's website.

Using a Micro Tex needle or a Jeans needle should help when sewing with Inn Control.

Sewhappytoquilt 04-14-2012 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5138491)
this is how I use plastic canvas for the bottoms, inserting it in a 'pillowcase' with its end tucked into the curve. it stays very rigid
[ATTACH=CONFIG]327469[/ATTACH]

Nancy, what is the purpose of the "curve", instead of just using two layers of plastic canvas? What am I missing?

litacats 04-14-2012 03:35 AM

I use shade cloth to make hammocks for the cat furniture we make and I had some of cuts so I tried it on a bag and it worked out realy well,

Earleen 04-14-2012 12:41 PM

Had husband cut a bottom to size from light weight panneling and then covered it with batting and into a sleeve. Makes for easy cleaning by washing sleeve.