Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First attempt at free motion stippling (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-attempt-free-motion-stippling-t23272.html)

quilterj 07-26-2009 02:56 AM

Well after finally getting my binding right. I took an attempt at free motion. I don't have time right now to post my picture. We are getting ready for church. I am giving it to someone at church for their baby they had last month. I had posted different questions on here for this project and finally got it finished. It would have been done earlier but with company and different things going on I just didn't do any sewing. It is just a simple quilt. All of you would probably think why I couldn't do it in a day? Any how I also washed it before I gave it to them. It seemed to have like a crinckley look. I think I have asked this already would you have washed a baby quilt when you finished with it if you used basting spray?

Prism99 07-26-2009 11:01 AM

Absolutely, I would have washed it before giving it whether or not I used basting spray.

Did you use cotton batting? I always use cotton batting because I like the crinkley effect. This is the same effect old-time quilts have because they didn't have polyester batting. What I have found is that, over time, quilts with cotton batting become softer and softer -- great for baby blankies!

Incidentally, it is safe to use cotton batting in baby quilts. Cotton nightwear for babies is also safe as long as the cotton fabric is close to the skin. The problem with cotton nightwear for children comes when the clothing is loose so that air can get underneath -- as in cotton nightgowns. Those can go up in flames in a flash because air reaches the fabric from both sides.

I personally do not like polyester batting for baby quilts because in a fire it melts and releases toxic fumes as it melts.

Sorry if this is more information than you wanted!

kluedesigns 07-26-2009 11:04 AM

i wash all my utility quilts before i give them to the intended recipient.

Jim's Gem 07-26-2009 12:13 PM

I too wash all my quilts before I give them away.

sewjoyce 07-26-2009 03:50 PM

I would definitely wash a baby quilt before giving it away. And the "crinkled" look is good.... :D :D

BTW, where is a pic of this quilt?? :roll:

littlehud 07-26-2009 08:49 PM

I always wash mine before giving them away. And I would never ask why you didn't finish it in a day. I have never finished a quilt that fast. I take my time and enjoy them.

Justquilting 07-27-2009 04:35 AM

I always wash before I give it away.
After the first washing it will always look the same.

tlrnhi 07-27-2009 04:40 AM

I don't wash ALL my quilts when they go to new homes.
I do, however wash ALL baby quilts that go out the door.

Shemjo 07-27-2009 04:41 AM

Congrats on finishing the quilt. Washing is always a good thing for a baby quilt. Sure hope you took a picture of the quilt and will share it with us! :lol: