Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First attempt at thread painting...self taught...opinions please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-attempt-thread-painting-self-taught-opinions-please-t119883.html)

cmagee84 05-02-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by autismland
Hi, I hope you know i was only kidding, :roll: its a long road for us guys , please dont be PC.

What type of thread do you use for thread painting

Oh yes, I knew you were kidding. :) I was not offended in the least! :) However, I do appreciate you reminding me about the men on this board. We do not have any men in my quilt guild or in the small groups I attend. I do enjoy the input I see from the guys on this board.

Thread---for the base I used a variegated tan to grey Mettler Satin finish cotton. The top layer is 100% rayon, the color is chrome. I was hoping for shine with that one. I will be looking for grey's to tan's to add the shading.

cmagee84 05-02-2011 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cybrarian
Beautiful, it's really coming along great! I'm not a thread painter (yet! ...barely a FMQer), but in looking at the picture I see what other posters mean by shadow and depth. Pale gray & slightly darker blue gray for wing depth? Have you considered a jet bead for the eye? That's what always strikes me about doves,their eyes are so shiny black & I don't know --intelligent. As if they're going to say, "yes, we are often God's messengers"!

Thank you for the idea for the eye! I was wondering what to do.
For the feet I may do hand embroidery using brown.

cmagee84 05-02-2011 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tinabug

Originally Posted by Airwick156

Originally Posted by cmagee84
Okay ladies, this is my first attempt at thread painting. I watched videos on you tube for days. Planned it out in my head, practiced, practiced, and practiced.

So,it is not finished yet. Still have the beak, eyes and feet to do, plus the title. The author is a dear friend of mine and I am making this as a Surprise!!! :)

Any constructive critics would be welcome!!

How do you thread paint? Never heard of it before but that is gorgeous

Isn't this simply another embroidery technique?

Yes, in a way it is. It is free motion embroidery, much like free motion quilting. I love to do hand embroidery and am working on a traditional crazy patch quilt. So this was just one more new technique to learn.

I love to learn and try new things!!! :)

IBQUILTIN 05-03-2011 05:09 PM

You have done a beautiful job with it. Gorgeous

mayday 05-06-2011 01:38 PM

awesome.

pab58 05-06-2011 02:02 PM

So-o-o-o lovely!!!!! :thumbup:

LaurieE 05-06-2011 02:43 PM

I just bought a book about this. It's called A-Z of Thread Painting. I haven't tried this technique yet but the book was very thorough in explaining everything. The book is for hand embroidery, not machine embroidery.

Grandma58 05-06-2011 05:37 PM

One of the things I do is use two slightly different shades of the color of thread at the same time!

AlwaysQuilting 05-06-2011 05:45 PM

Its beautiful. I've never heard of thread painting.
Is it done just on the top fabric? (now that I've asked the question I'm thinking...of course,silly, it's only on top) but I'd like to know for sure.