Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First in, last out (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-last-out-t200739.html)

Sarah in Brooklyn 09-17-2012 08:36 AM

First in, last out

2 Attachment(s)
This was the first quilt I started but I finished a bunch of other things before I got around to finishing it. What surprised me is how much better my sewing has gotten in the weeks since I started this - it's a little embarrassing, but also makes me proud and hopeful!

My boyfriend wants to hang this on his wall - what's the best, cheapest, easiest way to do that?[ATTACH=CONFIG]363443[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]363444[/ATTACH]

needles3thread 09-17-2012 08:42 AM

I use several straight pins to hang small wall hangings. May not be the best way, but that is what I do. (the shorter,
smallest pins----------hardly visible & makes no big hole in wall--------------I put pins along the top binding)
Making sleeves for hanging with a dowel rod is great also.

tesspug 09-17-2012 08:52 AM

The easiest way would be to sew three plastic rings on the back and hang with those Command removable hooks. The best would be to sew a long sleeve along the back and run a dowel through. The dowel and sleeve puts the hanging stress all along the entire edge. You could add decorative ends on the rod. You can still use Command hooks.

Jingle 09-17-2012 09:43 AM

I have one and made a rod pocket, sewed by hand to the backing. Put a tension rod in the pocket and put two screws in wall and just reat the rod on them.

Scraps 09-17-2012 09:54 AM

I don't care to put nails in the wall. I make a sleeve - just a narrow tube sewn to the backside top of your wall hanging. I buy a piece of decorative molding flat on one side or dowling that is flat on one side and paint it to match the quilt or the wall or whatever. Attach by decorative 'cording' or fish line to a heavy duty removable 'hook'. The kind you pull and stretch the sticky to release. Sorry can't think of the name ----------do a search and you will see different ideas. If I know I am always going to hang something from that very spot, I will attach a pretty hanger of some kind. How nice your boyfriend wants to hang your 'artwork'. You did a good job!

Delta 09-17-2012 10:12 AM

you should be proud it is fantastic.

Grandma Peg 09-17-2012 10:32 AM

Very nice quilt. I use curtain rods - the more decorative ones.

sandy l 09-18-2012 02:48 AM

That's looking good for a first quilt

cpcarolyn 09-19-2012 06:47 AM

I make a hanging sleeve on the back. Should be able to find info on how to make in any basic how to quilt book.
Better Homes & Garden Complete Guide to Quilting is an exclent one.
To hang I use Magnet-Ficent invisible quilt hanger. It uses removable adhesive strips and magnets to hang quilts.
Works great and no nails in walls and can be moved easily.

karenpatrick 09-19-2012 06:53 AM

Go to the drapery dept. and get those round drapery hangers that you squeeze and they open and have teeth that hold the draperies. They are very cheap and then use the Command invisible hooks to attach to the wall. I can't remember what those drapery hangers are called. They come in lots of different sizes and styles.