Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First quilt! Please help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-quilt-please-help-t287027.html)

NemoStarr 03-24-2017 05:23 AM

First quilt! Please help!

My sister told me she was pregnant the day of her gender reveal ( she's in another state) i want to make my niece a quilt.. i have the fabric and pattern but am clueless as to what to do next. if i could have some basic steps as where to start and where to go next i would appreciate it so much! i know its very difficult to quilt but i have to at least make this effort. thank you to anyone who is willing to give they're time to help! :)

popover 03-24-2017 05:28 AM

Quilting isn't that hard, if you can sew and read. Start with a very thorough read of the pattern. It will give you the basic steps, if its a good one.

joe'smom 03-24-2017 05:38 AM

Google 'how to get started quilting,' and you will find several results that will help you. You have to get acquainted with certain concepts and purchase a few basic materials. It's a wonderful, joyous world that lies ahead of you!

Vistacruise 03-24-2017 05:46 AM

I taught myself by watching You Tube videos when I had to make a quilt for my first grandson (that's what grandmother's do, right?!). I wish I could remember the lady's name, but she has a series of videos on the whole process from start to finish and they were invaluable.

Geri B 03-24-2017 06:06 AM

If you live within a reasonable distance of a quilt shop, consider taking a beginners class or do a one on one with one of the employees..... Also as suggested check out YouTube.......btw..hope you picked out a pattern that isn't too challenging....that could be a deal breaker.....

bkay 03-24-2017 06:13 AM

I, too, learned to quilt watching youtube videos. Start with videos on making baby quilts. That will get your juices flowing. Then watch videos on the different steps which are cutting, piecing, sandwiching, quilting (I have mine quilted at the quilt store) and binding.

Be sure to watch a video on cutting. Be careful to cut your fabric as exactly as you can. (Everything fits together much better if it's cut and sewn carefully.)

My favorite youtube quilting stars are Eleanor Burns and Jenny Doan (Missouri Star Quilts). They make it look easy, but are pretty entertaining. If you don't like those, pick another one. There are tons of them.

I had not sewn much of anything since my teenage years. I'm now in my 60's and just started quilting last year. I'm working on my 3rd (4th and 5th are in planning stages already). They've turned out fine.

bkay

popover 03-24-2017 06:15 AM

purchase a few basic materials
But not nearly so many as some would have you believe.

PatPitter 03-24-2017 06:16 AM

Are you machine piecing or hand piecing? You need to know how to make an accurate quarter inch seam allowance either way.

What pattern did you pick out?

Do you have a rotary cutter, ruler and mat? This is the main way quilt pieces are cut these days.

You probably should buy a bit of inexpensive cotton fabric to practice cutting, sewing and pressing before you cut into your chosen fabric.

DonnaPBradshaw 03-24-2017 08:18 AM

I would make a rag quilt, you can google it or pinterest also has free patterns for rag quilts. They are easy and very forgiving!

tessagin 03-24-2017 08:28 AM

I agree with others about the videos on You Tube. Jenny Doan of Missouri Star Quilt Company has many videos tutorials. You can stop and start. visuals helped me a lot when I made the first one.