Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First quilt top complete - next step? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-quilt-top-complete-next-step-t284955.html)

Shewanders 01-03-2017 08:54 PM

First quilt top complete - next step?

1 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]564930[/ATTACH]

I just finished piecing my first ever quilt top. I'm extremely happy with how it turned out. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do about quilting it. I was originally planning on machine quilting it myself, but I'm concerned about whether or not I can do it without screwing the whole thing up.

I have a vintage New Home machine - no walking foot. I was planning on using a cotton batting. The quilt is about 42 inches square. Any opinions on whether my machine could handle quilting this? Or should I find a long-armer to do it for me?

Tartan 01-03-2017 09:23 PM

Welcome from Ontario, Canada. Cute top!
I would use a 80/20 batt and look at the package to see how far apart the quilting lines can be. If you plan to try and quilt it yourself, you will need some method to baste the top, batt and backing together before you start. You can use fusible quilt batt, 505 basting spray, pins, thread basting etc.
Once you have your quilt sandwich made, you can use your regular foot and off white thread to stitch down the seams of the coloured rows and the center of the off white squares.
If you decide to have it quilted by a long armer, ask to see samples of their work, get a price for all over quilting or custom quilting. Ask if they want to use their own batt and backing or if you should supply it.

ckcowl 01-03-2017 11:00 PM

If you want to quilt it put together a few practice pieces and do some practicing, get the hang of it before you start on the real thing. There is a learning curve.

Bree123 01-03-2017 11:07 PM

I'm not familiar with that machine, but you might ask in the Vintage Machine Enthusiasts forum on this site to see if anyone knows of a third-party walking/even-feed foot for your New Home model. I know there are third party walking feet for many of the vintage Singers, so perhaps something is available that would work for you.

It is a very lovely flimsy. I personally love 100% cotton batting. If you can get a walking foot, my favorite batting is Warm & Plush. If not, perhaps one of the low-loft cotton batts by Quilter's Dream might be a better option. Or you could go with Warm & Natural as long as you quilt fairly far apart (quilting more than 2" apart can cause the stitches to pop in the wash/with regular stress from handling so I would probably quilt every seam). Start in the middle & work your way out in each direction on the center lines; then, you can go back & fill in each quadrant, working from the middle out.

Can't wait to see your finished quilt!

popover 01-04-2017 03:20 AM

You could always hand quilt it using a big hoop.

quilterpurpledog 01-04-2017 03:42 AM

I see great quilts in your future! This one is really great with precise piecing with all those triangles and your choice of border is perfect. Lots of great advise about quilting it in the above comments. Good luck on your choices and please show us the finished quilt after you finish.

QuiltE 01-04-2017 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by Shewanders (Post 7732921)
...................Any opinions on whether my machine could handle quilting this? Or should I find a long-armer to do it for me?

Of course you could quilt it on your machine!
There is more than one quilter that quilts using a treadle .... some even doing incredible FMQing too.

There are lots of options as to quilt it, that are easy enough for first time quilting.
.... Take a look around at similar quilt designs to see how others have quilted them.

You've done a great job and congratulations to you for wanting to finish it right to the end, by yourself!

Good Luck ... and Welcome from Ontario!

sprice 01-04-2017 07:02 AM

How about machine stitching down each side of the zig zags and then putting a colorful embroidery thread tie in the center of each white square. Also need to stitch all around on the inside of the border. And do stitch all around the outer edge to keep in order till you put the binding on. When buying the batting, be sure to check the manufacturer's recommendation for quilting distance required for that particular batt. Lovely quilt!

Bobbielinks 01-04-2017 07:11 AM

You have received lots of great options above. I just wanted to pop in and tell you that you did a wonderful job piecing this beauty! Look at those points!!! Perfection!!!

DJ 01-04-2017 08:13 AM

What a beautiful quilt for your first one!

I'm sure you can successfully quilt it with your machine. If possible, I'd try to get a walking foot though.