Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-quilts-t215835.html)

patchsamkim 03-08-2013 03:27 PM

First quilts

What did you make for your first quilts, and how long ago did you make them?

I made my first quilt for college...I wanted a "real" quilt for my bed, and had seen a biscuit quilt I liked, so chose that as my first pattern.That would have been in 1973...so 40 years ago My dad helped me shop for the fabric...and had to take me to more than one store to find what I liked...not a lot to choose from back then...the quilt had a lightweight denim in it, a couple of calicoes, an eyelet, but I loved it...and kept it for many years, though once washed, the batting bunched up.

My second quilt I made probably in 1975 as an exchange for a college friend....he got the quilt, I got a bike...it was just squares and had lots of different types of fabric in it including corduroy.

My third quilt was a sampler quilt probably made in 1980 and was a sampler quilt all stitched by hand, including hand quilting. Shortly after that I got my first rotary cutter and found out how to make quilts a lot quicker...and have been quilting ever since!

How about you?

QuiltnNan 03-08-2013 03:32 PM

my first quilt was a baby quilt for my DGS. he is 11 now. can't believe it's been that long :)

humbird 03-08-2013 03:39 PM

GFG about 48 years ago.

momto5 03-08-2013 03:55 PM

Sunbonnet Sue/Overall Sam for a girl I worked with, 45 years ago....had two businesses and made probably 4-500 quilts since then....lotsa fun!!! My other "claim to fame" is that I also got my Mom addicted to quilting when she was the age I am now....70....and she quickly got better than I was! I used to tell her she was better than I because she was a tailor for many, many years...:)

ckcowl 03-08-2013 04:09 PM

very first quilt was a hand embroidered ABC quilt for my baby girl in 1976---i drew (animals, items) for each letter on pieces of muslin- then embroidered them- added a solid blue broad cloth (left over from making some summer shorts) i used an old-falling apart thrift store comforter for a batting & more of the solid blue for the back- i am not much of an artist & some of my *creatures* are pretty funny looking...but my daughter still has that quilt!
off & on over the years i would make a baby quilt when the need arose-but really had no idea what i was doing---making do with what i could come up with-
then in 2000 when my darling daughter was getting married i made a king sized stained glass dragonfly quilt for their wedding gift---i've been really busy, busy quilting since that one...when the kids were growing up i made all their clothes, my clothes, home dec ect...now---i quilt & make rugs---seldom do i make anything else...it's become quite an obsession. :D

Mariposa 03-08-2013 04:13 PM

My first two were started 25 yrs. ago. I did a nap size square in a square, and a queen size log cabin. Still have both, and they are in decent shape. Did have the LC machine quilted by someone. I have learned lots since then!
I now have my own long arm too. :)

WTxRed 03-08-2013 04:22 PM

1st quilt - queen size Labyrinth (Pattern by D Maddy) made Nov 2011. Can't believe I waited so long to start!

yweinst 03-08-2013 04:42 PM

My first quilt was an owl one for my niece which I made in August 2012.

alisonquilts 03-08-2013 05:01 PM

My first was a king size watercolor quilt for a big blank wall in our (contemporary) house that needed something on it to dampen echoes. I had seen the book Watercolor Quilts while working in a library and fell in love with the style. I hadn't ever seen any quilts that weren't traditional piecing so these came as a real surprise. My giant quilt is of an oak tree surrounded by azaleas, a pathway and a lawn to represent the landscape of our new home (here in NC). I made it in 1998.

Alison

EllieGirl 03-08-2013 05:25 PM

My first quilt was a baby quilt for my grandson three years ago. I have made a total of eight.