Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-sewing-machine-t243318.html)

Nolee 03-16-2014 11:14 AM

First Sewing Machine

I am in Georgia visiting my granddaughter (10) and would like to get her a beginner sewing machine. I looked at a Brother sewing and embroidery machine at Walmart just now but don't want to be foolish and get something that will break down easily. I could sure use some suggestions. We need to stay under $400.

Thanks,
Nolee

mic-pa 03-16-2014 11:23 AM

there are many nice machines for that amt. of money or less however Ithink I would not get a 10 yr old and emb. machine at this point. there is a lot involved in that part of the sewing. Let her start with a decent basic machine and if it holds her interest you can always up grade. Just my opinion

Geri B 03-16-2014 11:27 AM

For a 10 yr old.....just a basic straight zigzag and maybe a few fancy stitch offerings would be my suggestion....like brother runway model. I have one I bought at walmart(oh heavens) use it for classes, bees, sewing, whatever away from home base and have had no probs w/ it. Less knobs, less change of breakage...for a ten yr oldest is.....btw. Runway is less tan $200.00

dakotamaid 03-16-2014 11:41 AM

Janome jen is another good machine for beginners.

icul8rg8r 03-16-2014 09:24 PM

My 10 year old daughter has the Brother CS6000i - great starter machine with lots of pretty decorative stitches that she loves experimenting with. I think it was under $200 (maybe even more like $175 with tax). So you would have money left over for fabric & thread!

bibliostone 03-16-2014 10:17 PM

I got the Brother CS6000i from Amazon for less than $200 and I love it. I also have a couple far more expensive machines (one a Brother and one a Janome), but the CS6000i is great for piecing and is light weight. Great to take to classes or with me when traveling.

DOTTYMO 03-16-2014 10:24 PM

Ci have a husquvane viking 100h series paid £200 from create and craft. For this price I was very pleased with everything I can do. It is also light in weight. For quilting I put one of those shelf mats cost pence underneath.
Also fancy stitches.

GrannieAnnie 03-16-2014 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nolee (Post 6629548)
I am in Georgia visiting my granddaughter (10) and would like to get her a beginner sewing machine. I looked at a Brother sewing and embroidery machine at Walmart just now but don't want to be foolish and get something that will break down easily. I could sure use some suggestions. We need to stay under $400.

Thanks,
Nolee

You can buy a simple straight and zigzag machine for under $200 many places. I'd save the embroderiy for later.

Stitchnripper 03-17-2014 04:22 AM

Many of us here on the Board, me included, have been very happy with the basic Brother machines from WalMart. They are easy to come by, use standard low shank feet, take almost any thread, and WalMart will take them back if they go bad. I would save the receipt and the box. I would get a machine without the embroidery function to start with. There is so much basic stuff to learn. Especially for a 10 year old.

Dolphyngyrl 03-17-2014 06:20 AM

Brothers are perfectly good starter machines I have never had any of my low ends break down yet so unless she is sewing 12 hours a day and needs an industrial a hobby machine is just fine for a 10 year old that will occassionally sew. I started out on a brother and still use this bran 20 years later. My MIL uses my very first machine to this day