Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First Sewing Machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-sewing-machine-t57102.html)

badjujumama 07-31-2010 06:17 AM

I have been researching sewing machines and I have come across the Brother 60-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine, CS-6000i. This machine is in my price range and I just wanted to know if it is good for quilting. I found it at Walmart for $147.54. Thanks for your help.

patricej 07-31-2010 06:32 AM

if you can afford at least another $50, i'd keep looking.

i'm sure it's a good machine for the price, but i think it would not be much fun to use for quilting. the throat (area to the right of the needle) is one of the smallest on the market. if you plan to do your own quilting, it will be difficult on anything larger that a wallhanging.

if you shop around online you'll find oodles to choose from.

azgal 07-31-2010 06:32 AM

It's wonderful. I've made several quilts with mine. Good price for what you get! Lots of features.

badjujumama 07-31-2010 06:50 AM

What machine would I be able to get for $200 that would be better? Thanks for your input

Scissor Queen 07-31-2010 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by badjujumama
What machine would I be able to get for $200 that would be better? Thanks for your input

Here's a Janome on sale for 119.00.

http://www.allbrands.com/products/abp26053-0067.html

patricej 07-31-2010 07:21 AM

check around to see if there are any dealers within a reasonable drive of where you live. they often have unadvertised specials on floor models and traded-in machines.

even if you eventually settle on the one you're looking at now, it'll help to find a local (or not-too-distant) qualified repair shop.

you might also want to check out these machines. there's a shark for less than $100 that has more features and a bigger work area. i've never used a shark but a friend of mine just loves the one she's had for more than 3 years.

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewi...html?count=120

stpatmom 07-31-2010 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by badjujumama
I have been researching sewing machines and I have come across the Brother 60-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine, CS-6000i. This machine is in my price range and I just wanted to know if it is good for quilting. I found it at Walmart for $147.54. Thanks for your help.

the very first machine my dh bought me was a brother from walmart for $100 about 12 years ago. It only lasted 3-4 years. I think I sewed it into the ground! If I knew then what I know now, it probably would have lasted longer. With that being said, I wish I would have kept the white zig zag machine I had after that. It just felt more heavy duty and the quality was noticeably better. I think we paid under 200 for that one. I think that having a place to go to ask for questions is one of the most important things regardless if you pay $50 or $1000.

Good luck and have fun with whatever you choose! And most importantly, post pictures of your new baby!

raptureready 07-31-2010 08:32 AM

If you have a local Janome dealer check with them. They often have trade-ins or demo models that are pretty inexpensive. Their trade-ins have been completely checked out and usually come with a limited warrenty depending on the age. The demo's are just ones that have been on display in the store and are basically brand new, just used when people come in and sew a bit to try them out. I have a Brother CE4000 that I bought off Craigslist for $60. I love it for classes but I prefer to quilt on an old cabinet Singer--big throat, flat surface, great control.

eparys 07-31-2010 08:42 AM

Hi badjujumama

I actually purchased this machine used for a class machine. I works nicely - but I will be honest with you that I am nor sure that I would want to sew an entire quilt on it. The stitches are fine - but the throat is small. It is also very light which is why I bought it for classes.

If you plan on doing lots of sewing, look in the used market - you may find a gently used one on Craigslist, a dealer, newspaper or even ask for one on Freecycle (nothing ventured nothing gained!). Estate sales are great as well. On older machine in a cabinet around here goes for about $75 and is considerably more substantial than the Brother.

Another option is to call some large supplier such as All Brands (I would call several) and just ask questions. Tell them your max to spend and what type of sewing you want to do and see if they have any recommendations. They may have trades ins, factory services or specials that might interest you. I did this a lot before I bought my longarm. It is amazing what you learn this way.

SherriB 07-31-2010 09:01 AM

I have the Brother machine you are considering. I bought my first one from Overstock.com. It was a refurbished one and really didn't work well. It couldn't be returned so I sold it. I bought another just like it from Walmart. It sewed better but is is so light weight. It is a good machine for basic sewing but I have never tried it for quilting.

I bought a new Jamome that I love and use all the time. It is a Janome HT2008. I think a similar model is the DC10 or something. Check around for a better machine.