Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First time paper piecing, help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-time-paper-piecing-help-t188268.html)

mdall 05-06-2012 06:18 PM

First time paper piecing, help!

1 Attachment(s)
I decided to give paper piecing a try and my block is looking strange. I'm thinking it was my choice of fabrics. could someone give their opinion. Am I being to critical? They are suppose to look like budding flower and I think they look like sherbert drop in cone. Help please.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]333452[/ATTACH]

sharon b 05-06-2012 06:21 PM

Your technique looks fine- I suspect it is your colors that are making you think something is strange with it

QuiltnNan 05-06-2012 06:43 PM

i think you did a great job on your first attempt. you even have the 1/4" allowance at the tips of the petals! i rather like your colors.

Arleners 05-06-2012 06:48 PM

Looks good to me.

DogHouseMom 05-06-2012 06:53 PM

Nothing wrong with the technique, or the colors - but I think you'd like it better if there was more variance to the color value - meaning light to dark. If you convert the photo to black and white you'll see that most of your fabric selections will be the same grey tone (same "value). The only one that is different is the dark green on the left side of the bud.

Try another with more definition to the lights and darks and I think you'll like it just fine!!

Nice job!

paulettepoe 05-06-2012 08:11 PM

I agree with the people above, also I believe the direction of fabrics can play a part in whether it looks right or appealing.

GrannieAnnie 05-06-2012 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by mdall (Post 5198811)
I decided to give paper piecing a try and my block is looking strange. I'm thinking it was my choice of fabrics. could someone give their opinion. Am I being to critical? They are suppose to look like budding flower and I think they look like sherbert drop in cone. Help please.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]333452[/ATTACH]

Your brown/tan has a directional print. I'm going to guess that is your problem. It does look like a flower bud to me, but lines in the background are distracting.

Tollergirl 05-06-2012 11:31 PM

I thought "flower" when I first saw it. I think the idea about color values is great, never thought about that. Perhaps experimenting with different colors/patterns would get a different look....

dolores 05-07-2012 03:16 AM

piecing and block are fine. that is the way it is supposed to look, probably the colors that make you think something is wrong, try one with white background or lighter color and you will see the same block with different values and then keep going ,you are doing a great job.

gailinva 05-07-2012 03:45 AM

Looks perfect to me!! Wait until you get everything all sewn together.

Originally Posted by dolores (Post 5199185)
piecing and block are fine. that is the way it is supposed to look, probably the colors that make you think something is wrong, try one with white background or lighter color and you will see the same block with different values and then keep going ,you are doing a great job.