Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First try at FMQ (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-try-fmq-t219553.html)

patti p 04-19-2013 06:27 PM

First try at FMQ

Hi there I just did a Jelly roll race in some pastels and thought I would give a go on some free motion this is my first time, I have practiced on some fat quarters and all seemed to go fine , so when I tried it on this quilt top I am getting a lot of bird nests on the back, where I have to stop and cut it out and re thread,bobbin, top all of it. I have tried to change the needle, I have the same thread in the top and bottom, I have cleaned the machine (I have a singer h74) fairly new, I manage to go about a foot or so and it will mess up AGAIN! I am getting frustrated, I switched from a plastic bobbin to metal, no change. I just ordered some bobbin washers, I hope that will do the trick? Does ANYONE have any other advice I could try.? It sews like a dream while piecing. It only does this while FMQ,

quiltingcandy 04-19-2013 06:31 PM

Do you bring the bobbin thread up to the top of the quilt? When exactly do the bird nest happen?

Nammie to 7 04-19-2013 06:51 PM

What size needle are you using? I don't have issues if I use a top stitch needle (as recommended by my dealer)

busy fingers 04-19-2013 06:55 PM

I sounds to me like the problem is not with the machine or yourself - as your practice pieces were good - do you have the weight of the quilt supported. I had the same problem - practice pieces goods and when I tried on the "real deal" it was a disaster.

Make sure that you have the whole quilt supported as the weight is dragging it down and causing the problem.

Good luck with it.

patti p 04-19-2013 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 6013792)
Do you bring the bobbin thread up to the top of the quilt? When exactly do the bird nest happen?

Yes the bobbin thread is on the top when I start, it seems to happen after the 3 or 4 stop, I have to stop a lot to re position the quilt top and when I try to start again.

patti p 04-19-2013 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 (Post 6013825)
What size needle are you using? I don't have issues if I use a top stitch needle (as recommended by my dealer)

I am using a quilting needle. I even put in a new one.

Prism99 04-19-2013 07:17 PM

You may need a larger needle (and a topstitch needle is better) -- I would say at least a size 12/80 and 14/90 would be better.

Quilting needles are actually meant for piecing.

patti p 04-19-2013 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 6013867)
You may need a larger needle (and a topstitch needle is better) -- I would say at least a size 12/80 and 14/90 would be better.

Quilting needles are actually meant for piecing.

Thank you I will try that, I did not or do not know a lot about what needles to use for what. I also order the magic genie bobbin washers in hope it will help, waiting for them to arrive.

Monika 04-19-2013 07:44 PM

I found that not only do I need a topstitch, but with some threads I need to go up to a 16/100.

patti p 04-19-2013 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Monika (Post 6013903)
I found that not only do I need a topstitch, but with some threads I need to go up to a 16/100.

I am using coats and Clark machine quilting thread