Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fiskars Easy-Action Pinking Shears Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fiskars-easy-action-pinking-shears-question-t255165.html)

JaniceP 10-12-2014 11:07 AM

Fiskars Easy-Action Pinking Shears Question

Just got back from JoAnn's with a new pair of Fiskars Easy-Action Pinking Shears 8" which says :
Spring-Assist, Reduces Hand Fatique, Improves Cutting Accuracy.
I am trying to get fat quarters ready to pre-wash and pinking the edges. This pair of shears locks down on the fabric and I can't get them open and it will not cut 2 layers of quilting cotton never mind 4 it tries to chew through them. It also pinches my hand.
What pinking shears do you prefer? and have you tried these?
The original cost is $44.99 I thought they would be decent. They look like these which are 10".

Prism99 10-12-2014 11:46 AM

I think it would be easier to just sew a line of stitching 1/8"-1/4" from cut edges. I'm not a fan of pinking shears. If you really want pinked edges, then you might want to try a rotary cutter with a pinking blade. I have not used one myself, but it might be easier than pinking scissors.

Ragehri 10-12-2014 12:01 PM

I bought the same pair this summer and returned . Waiting to try the gingher pinking .

Tartan 10-12-2014 12:06 PM

​Have a pair with orange handles (Fiskars)that I have had for years. They don't like to cut one layer of cotton anymore but still cuts 2 or more. Have you thought of buying the pinking blade for your rotary cutter?

ManiacQuilter2 10-12-2014 12:16 PM

I am currently sewing some leftovers from Robert Kaufman Charms and I am NOT a big fan of trying to sew an accurate 1/4" seam on a pinked edge. YUCK is all I can say.

JaniceP 10-12-2014 02:14 PM

Thanks for your replies and yes I went to buy a pinking rotary blade and there were none. Our JoAnn's get's hit so hard here and with the sales this weekend they were really busy. I have an old pinking shear that I have used for 40+ years, I'll go back to them, they cut better than the new ones. I'll return the one I purchased today.

Diannia 10-13-2014 06:36 AM

I bought a pair of Gingher pinking shears about a month ago thinking they would work better than the cheapies I had...nope! I returned them the next day and bought a pinking blade for my rotary cutter. If Joann's is out maybe you can order 1 online from them or Amazon...

annievee 10-13-2014 09:01 AM

I tried different brands of pinking shears including Gingher, then a friend told me about Fiskars Softgrip pinking shears --it has been a few years but got them at WalMart--has orange and gray handles--they are just as sharp as they were years ago when I bought them. I just try to keep clean with soft cloth and put a dab of oil in the 'joint' occasionally. Might try to 'oil' your old pair !

IQ2 10-13-2014 09:17 AM

Jo-Ann's has the deluxe rotary cutter on sale and flat rate shipping with no minimum purchase. You can order these on-lineand buy the pinking blade which fits the deluxe cutter.

jetayre 10-13-2014 09:56 AM

Glad you brought up about pinking shears...I have had mine for years and have had difficulty with them and thought it was because I am left handed. Glad to know it is no all me. I will do the rotory cutter. Thanks!