Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fiskars scissor sharpener (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fiskars-scissor-sharpener-t300076.html)

Gay 10-08-2018 04:17 PM

Fiskars scissor sharpener

Has anyone used this sharpener, and how did it go? I bought one and tried to sharpen the blades as just the 1/2" from the end wouldn't cut anything. Now I have a 2 1/2" section that will not cut at all, so am thinking it was a waste of money. I have noticed now that the edge of the blades is flat, not the tapered edge I've been used to. Guess it's back to the sharpening stone.

nativetexan 10-08-2018 04:29 PM

I used to use the knife sharpening guy in JoAnn's.

Jingle 10-08-2018 06:20 PM

I have one and I use it often. I own a bunch of scissors used for all kinds of stuff. It works very well.

maudeflanagan 10-09-2018 01:37 AM

I have one and use it on all my scissors. I have 2 pairs of Mundial metal shears, spring loaded Fiskars that I use for paper, and a small pair of snips that are maybe 2" long. I sharpen all of them using the tool and it works really well. I open the blades start closest to the handle. I squeeze pretty hard with the pressure it would take to cut through a few layers of thick cardboard.

northern lass 10-09-2018 02:40 AM

I was given one by a friend. Brand new. Didn't find it any use at all. Had to purchase new scissors because it ruined the ones I tried to sharpen!

rryder 10-09-2018 03:24 AM

I use mine a lot. It seems to work pretty well. Sharpens up even fairly dull scissors of all the cheap brands I’ve got in my house. I do not use it with my Olfa microserrated applique or the Gingher duckbill applique scissors. It’s meant for scissors with regular blades. Like someone else said, you insert the blades and starting near the handle squeeze with the kind of pressure you’d use for cutting several layers of cardboard.

Rob

betty32084 10-09-2018 04:01 AM

I have 2 Fiskars sharpeners and love them. one is for flat blades and the other is for the usual Fiscars scissors.,and I found a small one at Hobby Lobby and have about worn that one out.

RuthiesRetreat3 10-09-2018 05:10 AM

There are a lot of Fiskars-like scissors out there. They have different names and although they look identical, they're not. Each brand seems to have it's own taper on the edges. If your sharpener is Fiskars brand, only use it to sharpen scissors with the Fiskars brand.

Innov8R 10-09-2018 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by maudeflanagan (Post 8140326)
I have one and use it on all my scissors. I have 2 pairs of Mundial metal shears, spring loaded Fiskars that I use for paper, and a small pair of snips that are maybe 2" long. I sharpen all of them using the tool and it works really well. I open the blades start closest to the handle. I squeeze pretty hard with the pressure it would take to cut through a few layers of thick cardboard.

Me too. I do it like maudeflanagan and like the results fine.

rryder 10-09-2018 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by RuthiesRetreat3 (Post 8140458)
There are a lot of Fiskars-like scissors out there. They have different names and although they look identical, they're not. Each brand seems to have it's own taper on the edges. If your sharpener is Fiskars brand, only use it to sharpen scissors with the Fiskars brand.

Not necessarily. As I said, I use my Fiskars sharpener on many different brands of scissors. The only thing they have in common is that they are inexpensive brands. Several are Fiskars, several are no-name Chinese scissors that came 5 or 8 to a package for $10 (these sharpen up very sharp all the way to the tip using my Fiskars sharpener),some are thrift store finds. I also have a 30+ year old pair of Singer scissors that was so dull it wouldn't cut anything, but after a good long while of working its blades through the Fiskars sharpener, it sharpened up very well.

While the difference some folks are having may have to do with edge angles, it could also have to do with the steel that is used for the scissors blades. Some steels hold an edge for longer than others and can be more difficult to sharpen using a tool like the Fiskars sharpener.

I would not use it on micro-serrated blades, etc. and would not use it with expensive brands like Gingher.

Rob