Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fixing to buy new sewing machine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fixing-buy-new-sewing-machine-t200913.html)

debquilts2 09-19-2012 06:54 PM

I bought the janome 7700 about 3 months ago and love love love it. try it out it is a great machine.

sew really 09-20-2012 03:43 AM

Thanks to all the replies. I may also check out the Brothers 'Dreamweaver'. I have to travel at least 55 miles to the nearest dealer. Live in Southeast Tx in a rural area, five miles from town that has one grocery store :rolleyes:. I understand that you can buy machines at big quilt shows like in Houston, but kind of leery of that. I had a Pfaff for about 30 years, it was great. Anyway, thanks again!

annthreecats 09-20-2012 04:10 AM

I found this checklist last week. It may also help you decide.

Deciding on a sewing machine checklist

1. What unique features does this machine have that sets it apart from others?

2. How many stitches does it have?

3. Which accessories come with the machine?

4. What are my options for future accessories (i.e. additional feet, etc.), and what is
the associated approximate cost?

5. What type of warranty comes with the machine?

6. Who completes the repairs, and how long does that typically take? (Do you have
to ship the machine to the manufacturer or does the shop do repairs?)

7. Is the machine supposed be professionally "tuned up" and cleaned? How much
does that cost?

8. Are lessons/classes included in the cost of the machine?

9. Is the harp size adequate for my needs? Do the feed dogs drop for quilting?

10. How does it feel to sew? Quiet? Smooth? Intuitive features? Loud? Confusing?

11. Will this machine fit my sewing space well? (If you’re a roving sewist does it
have a case?)

12. Can I see myself sewing happily on this machine in 20 years?

13. Are there any handouts about the machine I can take to read at home?

san-sing 09-20-2012 12:19 PM

Do the dealers have the Dreamweaver yet? I looked at a couple on line, but didn't see any. What is the price? I saw it on the Brother's web site. I really like the look of it. Thanks

dreamer quiltist 12-13-2012 06:20 PM

Which Dreamweaver do you have? Is it one of the V series with a laser. I am going to try one.

WandaVA 12-13-2012 07:14 PM

I considered the Janome 7700, but it wouldn't fit in my cabinet...so, for just a few dollars more, I got a Janome 6600 AND Janome 350e embroidery machine. I love both machines!

RedThread 12-13-2012 07:52 PM

OK, if you could only spend about $600 and wanted a reliable machine that would do regular sewing and free motion quilting, what would you get?

mtngrl 12-13-2012 08:01 PM

I also have the Viking Tribute 140C and love it!! I got mine in September and have done 3 quilts on it so far. I also have a Brother SQ9050 that I got a WalMart for $200. It is a great starter machine and I use it for traveling, guild sewing etc. It is a really good machine for the money and I am very impressed with it.

Charming 12-13-2012 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by RedThread (Post 5718956)
OK, if you could only spend about $600 and wanted a reliable machine that would do regular sewing and free motion quilting, what would you get?

If you are in the market for one. I have the Viking #1 for sale. It is an older machine with many stitches and many extra feet. Pm if you need more info