Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fixing tension problem - thank goodness for the internet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fixing-tension-problem-thank-goodness-internet-t244242.html)

justducky65 03-31-2014 07:01 AM

Fixing tension problem - thank goodness for the internet

Yesterday when I sat down to sew and relax and try a new quilt block, I started sewing and my needle broke and the thread from the spool was at the end and the tail got caught up somewhat in the machine. I changed the needle and cleaned up the thread, put a new spool on did a few turns on the wheel to make sure all was okay and moving with no clunks, which was all good. I started sewing my block together and noticed when I checked the seams that the tension was all wonky with loops on the bottom and I could pull the bobbin thread right out. I played with the upper tension to no end and was not getting anywhere, so then I moved onto the bobbin tension thinking that might be the culprit. Nothing I did would correct the situation - this went on for about 2 hours or so. I gave up.

Late last night I was on the computer before going to bed and of course was looking for suggestions and tips. I came across a few - There was a suggestion that it had to be the top tension causing the problem and that perhaps the tension discs were not closing because of lint buildup,etc. It suggested putting a few knots in a length of thread and running that through the tension discs back and forth to clean out lint. That's what I did first thing this morning. I ran this thread through both discs and finally about the 5th time - something popped out - turns out it was a clump of thread that must have been caught up in there.

I rethreaded the machine and it was now sewing correctly and the tension discs were now doing their job again!! Winner winner chicken dinner!!! no costly trip to the service shop! I will always remember this tip from now on and will probably make it part of my maintenance routine when I do routine cleaning to the machine.

Just wanted to pass along - never know when it will come in handy for someone else :)

tessagin 03-31-2014 07:04 AM

I'm always grateful for any tips when it comes to anything sewing. Actually, anything at all.

grammy Dwynn 03-31-2014 07:29 AM

I had heard of using dental floss through the disc. Putting knots in the thread is a better idea. TY

joyce blint 03-31-2014 08:24 AM

Thanks so much. I've been fighting broken thread and nesting for past few days. I'm going to see if this helps. (fingers crossed)

Prism99 03-31-2014 09:49 AM

I use *unwaxed* dental floss for this; never thought about using sewing thread with knots in it. Glad it worked!

QuiltnNan 03-31-2014 11:48 AM

thanks for the great tip

Maureen NJ 03-31-2014 07:31 PM

I'm not following. Where did you connect the thread to and how did you do this? Thanks.

cathyvv 03-31-2014 07:45 PM

Yay! Glad you shared this, as I never would have thought of that.

Prism99 03-31-2014 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Maureen NJ (Post 6654516)
I'm not following. Where did you connect the thread to and how did you do this? Thanks.

You "floss" between the tension discs, similar to flossing between teeth. In other words, you are holding the knotted thread in both hands and moving the thread between the tension discs to dislodge any lint or broken threads caught in there.

luana 04-01-2014 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by grammy Dwynn (Post 6653480)
I had heard of using dental floss through the disc. Putting knots in the thread is a better idea. TY

Same here, but next time it will be knots. Always grateful when someone shares a tip.