Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flaking Starch.........How Do You Prevent It (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flaking-starch-how-do-you-prevent-t60919.html)

Lostn51 08-23-2010 01:06 PM

Oh I know it washes out but I just didnt know if there was something I was missing when I was starching the living daylights out of my material.

I have to have the heavy starch so that all of my blocks are square and the points line up perfectly.

Billy

quilterken 08-23-2010 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by amma
I spray my fabric until it is wet with starch, hang it up on a tension rod until it dries. I don't have any problem with scorching or flaking. It works well for me with canned or what I mix myself :D:D:D

If I am in a hurry, I put a fan on it :wink:

I pretty well do the same. spray, hang.... wait and press

Lostn51 08-23-2010 01:29 PM

So I guess I need to learn a bit of patience..........that is a hard thing for a guy you know!

Billy

Grammy o'5 08-23-2010 03:03 PM

Same here, guess I need to wait til it dries and maybe dilute it a little. Thanks for the info. :thumbup: :thumbup:

mimisharon 08-23-2010 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by grandma at the lake
Mary Ellen's Best Press hasn't flaked for me yet. I love it.

meeee, too, I switched about a year ago and I haven't missed those flakes.

ckcowl 08-23-2010 04:44 PM

the key to that great stiffness with out the flaking, is 'layers' light spray, let soak in, press, let cool re-spray, set/soak in, press, let cool, spray (ya know wash, rinse, repeat :) ) until its as stiff as you want it to be. don't saturate too heavily, a light spray is less apt to flake even if the mixture is a kind of 'heavy' mix that's ok, just spray lightly each time.

Deb watkins 08-23-2010 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by rwquilts
Thanks for the great question Billy! I've learned a lot by reading everyone's posts...Mary Ellen's smells great but doesn't starch as heavy as my grocery store Faultless Heavy Starch I buy in Walmart. I don't get flaking and I sometimes will spray on both sides...one quilter's theory who taught a class said when it's hot she flips and starches the other side and figures it soaks deeper when hot...I don't know if that's true or not.

I use this as well and since it is inexpensive, works for me!

Lady-T 08-23-2010 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by grandma at the lake
Mary Ellen's Best Press hasn't flaked for me yet. I love it.

Ditto! It's fantastic!

sewcrafty 08-24-2010 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Oh I know it washes out but I just didnt know if there was something I was missing when I was starching the living daylights out of my material.

I have to have the heavy starch so that all of my blocks are square and the points line up perfectly.

Billy

Especially those triangles!!!! Yep! Totally understand. Just wash afterwards and all things will be good! :thumbup:

damaquilts 08-25-2010 03:59 AM

I mix my own. Mary Ellen's is nice but way too expensive for me to use on quilting. I save it to iron clothes. Now I have had the bottle for almost 3 years if that tells you anything. I was ironing some black fabric and got the flakes I used the lint roller to take it off. Worked fine. Of course I was only doing 1/2 yards.