Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is Flannel a "must" for a wall board? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-%22must%22-wall-board-t36800.html)

Victoria 02-13-2010 11:36 AM

Someone posted that they were making a wall board from a sheet of foam insulation. That sounded great and I'm heading to Home Depot but don't have any flannel handy and can't get to fabric store today. Can I use any other covering that will keep my squares sticking to the insulation sheet? Please help.
Victoria

Marcia 02-13-2010 11:38 AM

They make stick to batting??? Mine is covered in flannel that I got at Walmart....

Love2Quilt 02-13-2010 11:56 AM

I use a flannel sheet. I hang it up as I need it, and take it down when its not in use. That way I'm not taking up space with the foam board. I just hook it to my wall.

dakotamaid 02-13-2010 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Victoria
Someone posted that they were making a wall board from a sheet of foam insulation. That sounded great and I'm heading to Home Depot but don't have any flannel handy and can't get to fabric store today. Can I use any other covering that will keep my squares sticking to the insulation sheet? Please help.
Victoria

The fuzzy back of a plastic tablecloth works also.

butterjoy 02-13-2010 12:36 PM

I use my vinyl tableclothe which has flannel backing. I thumbtack it to my wall when needed and take it down when not needed. It is very hand hanging my blocks on while working on a quilt cover.

JOY

Victoria 02-13-2010 01:30 PM

Thank you for the tablecloth backing idea - that is what I'll use for this weekend anyway. I want to have the insulation sheet so that it will be portable. In other words put it on my bed, stand it against the double closet doors in the bedroom or use it in the hallway. The person that wrote in last week or so said it cost her only about $3. and then a lightbulb went on that about 8 years ago my husband made me window cornices from that pink stuff and we put batting on front side and then drapery fabric. They were nice and light to hang over windows and although I don't remember what he paid, he didn't spend much.
Thanks Victoria

craftybear 02-13-2010 01:48 PM

Hi, I am thinking of putting flannel on a roll up blind and put over our closet in our bedroom and then make a valance to cover the hardware up so when I am not using the blind for the wall board it will be rolled up and out of sight.

What do you think?

Karen

BellaBoo 02-13-2010 02:11 PM

I used a cream colored felt. Thin batting is good and will work until you can get some flannel or felt.

Victoria 02-13-2010 02:16 PM

Karen

I think that is a terrific idea. I immediately thought of the two home movie screens that I disgarded when my DH passed, the screen and roller could have been salvaged and hung up but I wasn't much into quilting then - a lot of dress making and teddy bear (faux fur) making. Victoria

Victoria 02-13-2010 02:17 PM

Bella

I will look to see if I have any big pieces of felt with Christmas stuff - afraid it will be red or green though and I'd rather have white or as you have - beige. Victoria