Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel for 8 quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-8-quilts-t105558.html)

jodimarie 03-07-2011 04:42 AM

you are on the right track with the washing and drying....flannel does shrink a lot the first time it is laundered. BE SURE to check your lint trap often!!!!

I use a 1/2 inch seam on all my flannel quilts....don't do triangles with sharp points becasue of the bulk of the fabric but simple squares or rectangles are fine with the wider seam allowences that ( I think ) flannel needs!!

jodi

jodimarie 03-07-2011 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Shiloh
I bought flannel from JoAnn's and made pj's for my granddaughter in December. 2 of the 4 pair of pj's have pilled quite a bit. Bought some at the store and some online. I hesitate to even mention this pilling because pj's get washed at least once a week whereas the little quilts won't. I bought some Joe Boxer flannel pj's for myself this year at Kmart on sale after Christmas for $9.99. They are not pilling. I flirted with the thought of buying the pj's and using the flannel. If I bought the largest size they sell (3X) I would probably have a good amount of flannel for the price. Just a thought. Gerry

I've done this for years!! K'mart does have some very pretty flannel PJ's that they carry for the winter season. Watch the sales and buy the largest sizes.....lots of fabric for a very decient price.....if memory serves, they go on 1/2 off sale which brings them down to about 12.00. They wash and dry wonderfully and the patterns aare very very cute!!

jodi

CarrieAnne 03-07-2011 04:48 AM

I forgot the flannel is on sale. I need to grab some too!

quilt1950 03-07-2011 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
To cut down on the serging time, you can serge an end of one fabric to the beginning of another. I saw this tip from a published quilter who says she pre-washes all her fabric this way.

Good idea. Thanks.

quilt1950 03-07-2011 04:54 AM

I bought flannel from JoAnn's and made pj's for my granddaughter in December. 2 of the 4 pair of pj's have pilled quite a bit. Bought some at the store and some online. I hesitate to even mention this pilling because pj's get washed at least once a week whereas the little quilts won't. I bought some Joe Boxer flannel pj's for myself this year at Kmart on sale after Christmas for $9.99. They are not pilling. I flirted with the thought of buying the pj's and using the flannel. If I bought the largest size they sell (3X) I would probably have a good amount of flannel for the price. Just a thought. Gerry

Another good idea!

feffertim 03-07-2011 06:12 AM

great idea.Thanks

Originally Posted by jodimarie

I've done this for years!! K'mart does have some very pretty flannel PJ's that they carry for the winter season. Watch the sales and buy the largest sizes.....lots of fabric for a very decient price.....if memory serves, they go on 1/2 off sale which brings them down to about 12.00. They wash and dry wonderfully and the patterns aare very very cute!!

jodi