Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel for backing ??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-backing-t169984.html)

Extreme Quilter 11-27-2011 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 (Post 4724939)
I just quilted some charity quilts for my guild (on my domestic machine) OMG the flannel was a pain- it won't slide on the bed the way cotton will..

That said, I got less puckering with the flannel, and it is super soft now that it is done.

I don't know if they prewash or not. I like the shrinky look you get when you don't prewash cotton batting.

Is it difficult to free-motion quilt?

Caroline S 11-27-2011 07:11 AM

I have used flannel as backing on several quilts. Washing in hot water is a must, perhaps even a double washing is in order. Also, wash dark colors, with a color catcher. My DD had a piece of red flannel she wanted to use on the back of a baby quilt. She decided not to use it because after washing at least 4 times with a color catcher it was still bleeding. I also look for good quality, portugese, little used flannel sheets at my local thrift stores. They make great one piece backings.

dunster 11-27-2011 07:36 AM

As others have said, wash in hot water until it quits bleeding and shrinking. Use better quality flannel if possible. I've used it on the back of several smaller quilts and I love how it feels. You can starch it too to help control it while quilting.

Barbshobbies 11-27-2011 08:00 AM

I have only used flannel on childrens quilts, because they get washed a lot. I have to asked, does flannel look O.K.
after a few washings or does it start to look faded? ( on new quilts made for adults)

ywoodruff5 11-27-2011 08:04 AM

Flannel is a cozy backing - be sure to prewash and buy a good quality flannel. Having said that, I have found that the flannel does not hold up as well/long as a good cotton.

ckcowl 11-27-2011 08:21 AM

in the 100+ quilts i've made over the years i would venture to guess 3/4 of them have had flannel backs-i love working with flannel- and everyone around here loves the soft-warmth
it is certainly nothing to be afraid of- it's just another cotton fabric=
it does have a looser weave- so pre-wash it-
when i buy my flannels i bring them home - toss them into the washer- with a small amount of detergent to remove any sizing/chemicals in the fabric- warm water- then i toss them into the dryer-
when they come out they are (tightened up) soft and wonderful-
it is a good idea (especially if the flannel is single sided-or thin) to starch your flannels before cutting-this just makes it easier to get accurate cuts.
some people wash their flannels 3 or more times---i never have- i wash & dry them once and use them- if i'm using them for a raggy quilt i don't bother pre-washing
i've never had a flannel backed quilt come out with any type of problem---from shrinkage-or anything else- they are beautiful, soft and cozy warm.
i use flannels for appliques- with no adverse effects either-
and it quilts beautifully too- i've just never had any problems with flannels- it is one of my favorite quilting mediums-almost all of my quilts contain some flannel- on the front, for backing- even as batting

SuzieQuilts 11-27-2011 08:52 AM

My son likes a flannel back as it is warmer, so when I make him a quilt, I make sure there is a flannel back. Higher end flannel has better results

Skittl1321 11-27-2011 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter (Post 4725018)
Is it difficult to free-motion quilt?

I found it more difficult than regular cotton, but it was not extremely difficult.

Sewhappytoquilt 11-27-2011 11:34 AM

[QUOTE=Skittl1321;4724939]I just quilted some charity quilts for my guild (on my domestic machine) OMG the flannel was a pain- it won't slide on the bed the way cotton will..

That is why I LOVE flannel backing so it WON'T slide off the bed - hahaha - each to her own, I guess!

Nanamoms 11-27-2011 02:51 PM

I am making my 19 month old grandson a small quilt and was considering using flannel on the back so it would be cuddly and soft to him. I'm usuing a panel and will just add borders. I won't be quilting it per se but will be tying it. Is there anything I need to know other than wash, wash, wash prior to use? Is there a certain distance it should be tied? TIA