Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel Backing ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-backing-t188173.html)

Silver Needle 05-05-2012 08:43 PM

Flannel Backing ?

I am making a memory quilt for a friend. She chose a quilt pattern and we worked the design around squares her sister's had cut from their father's shirts. She would like the quilt to be more to look at than used, but wants it to last so it can be passed down to next generation. She asked about flannel for the back. I have not used it before as a backing and wondered if it would hold up as well as cotton.

I am longarm quilter and will be doing the quilting also. Would denser quilting make the quilt last longer? thanks for any information you can provide.

quiltingcandy 05-05-2012 10:44 PM

I have used good flannel for so many quilts and they have all held up well. And I make quilts to be used, baby quilts and quilts to keep on the end of the couch to pull over us when it gets chilly. I made 2 quillows to take to the Charger games back in 1999, then I used shirt flannel and they are still very in great shape. They get used more indoors now than outdoors.

Lobster 05-06-2012 02:07 AM

I don't know yet how well my flannel-backed quilts will hold up, but I do know that it shrinks like crazy in the wash. Prewash it twice, on a fairly hot wash, and put it in the dryer if possible. Also prewash any fabrics that you will be using in the top, as the shirt fabrics have already been thoroughly prewashed. I don't know if you were planning to make the top purely from the shirt fabrics, or to add in a few of your own for visual balance. It depends on the guy's shirt collection, really; some contain a great range of values and patterns, others don't.

Now I think about it, I could probably do a reasonably nice (if small) quilt from my partner's shirts, as he has plenty of black and white, and a good few in other colours and stripes, including that gorgeous green stripe which I adore - seriously lovely fabric! - and which he isn't that keen on. Although probably at least half his shirts are white and not that thick, which I wouldn't really want to be working with. But I really shouldn't be thinking this way!

Holice 05-06-2012 03:14 AM

if it is a quilt just to keep then I would use regular fabric on the back. I see no need for flannel unless it is there for warmth.

117becca 05-06-2012 03:25 AM

I am working on a throw right now that has flannel on the back - it is a better quality fabric and I did pre-wash it and dry it before using it. I have another quilt that I got at a garage sale that has flannel on the back and it was either a flannel sheet or cheaper flannel. It's held up well - I've had it for 15 yrs and when I'm cold in the winter - it's my favorite to grab. The flannel backing does seem to make a difference - and maybe it's just because I love the way it feels.

nanna-up-north 05-06-2012 05:20 AM

I have one quilt that I put the flannel on the back.... and I love it. It's on my bed and it stays put.... no sliding around like some quilts. I do recommend that you prewash as Lobster said. Flannel does shrink..... but I prewash everything so it stays where I want it.

An Arm Long 05-06-2012 05:30 AM

I have used flannel and washed it first. On my longarm I found that using rulers with the ruler base was difficult. The flannel seemed to want to cling to the ruler base.

Momma_K 05-06-2012 05:36 AM

I would go with the flannel, but make it a thicker quality rather than the thinner grade. It should last for years and for looks or use it'll be a fine treasure for years to come. Good Luck.

EvelynJ 05-06-2012 05:41 AM

I used flannel for the back of my cousin's baby quilt and it was wonderful. I think it would work out fine for a memory quilt. Good luck.

Tartan 05-06-2012 06:04 AM

I used flannel for a back of quilt 30 years ago? I folded the flannel to the front for the binding. The only place that I see wear is the binding edge has holes along it. It was just a general use quilt not an heirloom quilt. The top shows no signs of wearing out because it is polyester double knit. :D