Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel for backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-backing-t297290.html)

Marcy J. 05-30-2018 03:44 PM

Flannel for backing

I am sure this has been discussed before, but if you would allow me to bring it up again. I have used fleece as backing for infants and children's quilts and no batting. However, If I use flannel for backing should I use a light weight batting? Also, in my search for flannel on line at Fabric.com, there is flannel with double nap and some with single nap. Your thoughts on all the above will be greatly appreciated.

homefrontgirl 05-30-2018 05:21 PM

Can't help with the nap question, but when I've used flannel as backing I use batting too.

Still Sew N 05-30-2018 05:28 PM

I love to use flannel as a backing. Joann's has started carrying 108" wide flannel and for a pretty good price. My longarm seems to like it too as I think it helps the machine with the thickness. I always use batting - either warm cotton or cotton poly blend - whatever is on sale. I haven't tried fleece as a backing and nap? Not sure about that.

mamagrande 05-30-2018 08:20 PM

When I use flannel for a backing I always wash it in hot water because it tends to shrink more than regular cotton fabric. I use batting with the flannel backing.

Garden Gnome 05-31-2018 09:16 AM

The answer might depend on where you live--or at least where the recipient of the quilt lives. If in the south with mild winters, just the pieced top and flannel might be enough. I have used a layer of flannel for the batting, and another layer for the backing, for baby quilts.

frustratedquilter40 05-31-2018 12:48 PM

I use flannel for backing a lot I always use a batting with them. Usually Hobbs 80/20 or warm and natural. Do not know about nap. I have used flannel from JA and also quilt shop quality flannel never any issues. But I always wash and dry the flannel 2 times.

meyert 05-31-2018 02:58 PM

I still use batting - same as always. I don't really worry about the nap. If I like the fabric and it fits my project I will buy it.

ckcowl 06-01-2018 12:47 AM

I love double sided flannels, they are heavier ( meatier) in my experience hold up much better, don’t shrink as much as the looser weave single sided ones, I’ve never had one bleed. I always use batting. I like fluffy, soft, cozy, warm quilts.

eparys 06-01-2018 04:30 AM

I agree with ckcowl - I love the double sided flannel. While I never wash my quilting fabric before I use it, I always wash my flannel in hot water and dry it on high before I use it (I have had very expensive flannel shrink up to 2.5" in width when washed). I use Warm and Natural for all my quilts - I want them to be cuddly. If I were making a baby quilt for someone who lived in a really warm climate I might use a light weight poly. The only time I do not use batting is on table runners and placemats and then I have used an extra layer of flannel to give it some body.

klswift 06-01-2018 05:23 AM

I live in southern california and even our winters aren't that cold. When I make baby quilts I will often just use a nice flannel as backing without any batting.