Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel backing... will it pill? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-backing-will-pill-t270488.html)

romille 09-28-2015 03:50 PM

Flannel backing... will it pill?

I have never used a flannel backing before, but I am considering it for a lap quilt... will the flannel pill over time? I am thinking about using some of Moda's Woolies.

Thanks!

bearisgray 09-28-2015 03:55 PM

Some flannels pill.
Some don't.

I realize that answer does not answer your question - maybe someone knows which ones "behave" -

thimblebug6000 09-28-2015 04:05 PM

I love flannel backings and have quite a few quilts that have stayed lovely..... but I also have one or two that ended up pilling.... all flannels were purchased at quilt shops....

yngldy 09-28-2015 04:08 PM

I was in a LQS the other day and some of their name brand flannels looked beat up. They looked like they had been there a while and rubbed up against, etc. Not good advertising for the product if you wanted to buy.

ckcowl 09-28-2015 04:51 PM

I use lots of flannel in quilting and Love the Woolies line! Have never had a problem with it pilling.I also Love the Benartex double sided flannels they are wonderful! It all depends on the flannel. Single sided, lightweight, loose weave flannels tend to pill, heavier weight, tightly woven flannels hold up better

romille 09-28-2015 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7330489)
I use lots of flannel in quilting and Love the Woolies line! Have never had a problem with it pilling.I also Love the Benartex double sided flannels they are wonderful! It all depends on the flannel. Single sided, lightweight, loose weave flannels tend to pill, heavier weight, tightly woven flannels hold up better

That is great news! Thank you :)

ukdame 09-28-2015 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7330489)

I was about to post this same question and did a search so glad to find this. I know JoAnn flannels are terrible and hope a name brand may be better quality. I have a childs lapquilt to complete and don' t usually use flannel. I recall getting some from Thousands of Bolts that I used as a backing in a navy.

lynnie 09-28-2015 05:26 PM

I've found mixed flannels, meaning not all cotton, those seemed to pill , A LOT.

NJ Quilter 09-29-2015 03:23 AM

I've used Moda Marbles flannel and it was wonderful. No pilling; nice heavy flannel. I'd be hesitant with some other lines but not Moda.

Ariannaquilts 09-29-2015 03:47 AM

I used flannel from Joann fabrics for my very first king sized quilt, that quilt is about 16 years old now and obviously has been washed numerous times without pilling. At the time I paid about $1.50 per yard, therefore as others have said the pilling depends but I don't know on what! Good luck!