Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel as batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-batting-t224550.html)

Sally J 06-25-2013 07:41 PM

Flannel as batting

I've used flannel as batting before...but this time I'm thinking of using 2 layers of flannel as batting. Have any of you ever done this? Do you think it will work? The flannel has been washed and dried 2 times so shrinkage shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the help on this

Painiacs 06-25-2013 08:01 PM

I dont see why it would be a problem. people used all kinds of things for batting in the past.

kathdavis 06-25-2013 08:21 PM

No problem. I have used that several times.

Peckish 06-25-2013 08:30 PM

I think it will be fine. It will probably be on the heavy side. I made a quilt that was 3 layers of flannel, it is heavy and warm, just the way I like it.

QuiltnNan 06-26-2013 04:22 AM

as with Peggi, i like my quilts to feel heavy - reminds me of the quilts i slept under as a child

AlienQuilter 06-26-2013 04:40 AM

Love flannel as batting - much more flexible. I would spray baste between layers to keep it from shifting. Also, if you have seams maybe use a serger. The last time I used flannel as batting I had to piece it so I used 1/2 inch seam allowance then I stitched it down 1/4" from seam on both sides of the seams. I just did not want a lot of fraying if it got washed a few times.

Also, I really like using flannel as batting when I use minkee as backing. Adds warm without a lot of bulk. Also, you don't have to worry about how close you quilt.

Instead of trimming my quilt with the rotary cutter and ruler, I just went around all sides with my serger and it cut and secured all the raw edges of the flannel. Some people will complain that you can't properly block it this way but the only time I think that matters is if you plan on entering it in a quilt show. And if it's washed afterwards - it's not going to be perfect anyway.

I wanted to secure all my seams on top but did not want a lot of bulk in the machine so I quilted the top to the flannel, then secured the minkee backing with quilting around the major design (a medalion) and one of the inner borders. Then pulled the edges of the minkee around to the top and quilted it down. I posted a tutorial on how to make flat mitered corners using this method.

The only draw back I can see with flannel is that it's not "puffy" and your quilting won't stand out as much - with my skill level that's a good thing!

carolaug 07-05-2013 04:20 AM

I am using flannel for a baby quilt. middle (batting flannel and then the backing) I think it will be nice and soft. I also love the flat look...not fluffy. That is also way I like the warm and natural.

Sailorwoman 07-05-2013 04:38 AM

I am in the process of quilting my "sandwich" now. Because I wanted a really warm quilt, I used cotton for the top, warm and natural for the batting, a layer of flannel for extra warmth and then flannel for backing. I found out from Fabricland (Canada) that they sell a good quality flannel for lining drapery which is really inexpensive so I used that as the inner batting. I spray basted each layer and it is working out well.

ManiacQuilter2 07-05-2013 09:39 AM

Just hope you got all the shrinkage out of it. I never had very good luck with using it as batting.....