Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   flannel charm pack (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-charm-pack-t284682.html)

bkay 12-23-2016 12:42 PM

flannel charm pack

MSQC had a darling flannel charm pack on the daily deal a couple of days ago. There is no way you can launder a charm pack multiple times before you use it. So, what would you do about shrinkage?
bkay

popover 12-23-2016 01:29 PM

I personally wouldn't worry about it. Just use other non- washed fabrics with it.

amelia0607 12-23-2016 05:23 PM

Maybe sew the charms together for the top and then wash, especially if you are using cotton for backing.

quiltsRfun 12-23-2016 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by amelia0607 (Post 7725302)
Maybe sew the charms together for the top and then wash, especially if you are using cotton for backing.

I wouldn't wash a top before quilting. You'd end up with a real mess, and especially with flannel.

Kas 12-23-2016 10:04 PM

Soak the squares in warm water. Gently squeeze, then place them in a lingerie bag. Toss into the dryer.

ckcowl 12-24-2016 01:33 AM

I've used plenty of flannel without prewashing, nothing bad has ever happened. In a quilt shrinkage is determined by the whole package... top, backing, batting, amount of quilting all plays a role. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. When the quilt is all done ( quilted and bound) I would ( and always do) launder the quilt gently with cool water then tumble dry. They have always come out great. I mix fabrics too, flannels with regular cottons, some washed, some not- I've never had a problem with the finished project due to laundering

bakermom 12-24-2016 12:37 PM

I don't wash my flannel either and certainly wouldn't wash a charm pack. I wash my quilts in warm/cool water and tumble dry low. Have not had any problems with shrinkage. Like ckcowl i use a mix of fabrics in my quilts.

popover 12-24-2016 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7725441)
I've used plenty of flannel without prewashing, nothing bad has ever happened. In a quilt shrinkage is determined by the whole package... top, backing, batting, amount of quilting all plays a role. Personally I wouldn't worry about it. When the quilt is all done ( quilted and bound) I would ( and always do) launder the quilt gently with cool water then tumble dry. They have always come out great. I mix fabrics too, flannels with regular cottons, some washed, some not- I've never had a problem with the finished project due to laundering

Agreed. The only time you would have a problem is washing in hot water, followed by a really hot dryer. Why do people DO that, anyway? There's no need to nearly boil fabrics to get them clean.

Beachbaby12 12-25-2016 06:07 AM

I wouldn't wash the flannel charm pack either - just sewing them up. I remember Jenny saying not to prewash charm packs - not sure if this applies to flannel, but if you prewash it will be more difficult to manage sewing them together and messy.

bakermom 12-25-2016 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by popover (Post 7725816)
Agreed. The only time you would have a problem is washing in hot water, followed by a really hot dryer. Why do people DO that, anyway? There's no need to nearly boil fabrics to get them clean.

I agree! If you look at the care label on the end of bolt it says-wash warm, tumble dry low. I truly don't understand the need to "wash 2-3 times in hottest water" many seem to do.