Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel/Felt Design Board (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-felt-design-board-t21685.html)

butterflywing 06-23-2009 09:42 AM

get back to me on the pm.

k3n 06-23-2009 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
get back to me on the pm.

Yes ma'am - it's done! :D

Roben 06-23-2009 09:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Does $11.99 sound better? LOL Seriously! For 3 years now I've been using the same piece of pieced-together batting tacked up by push pins. The batting is Hobbs Heirloom (an 80/20 Blend) and I've had everything from individual blocks to queen size tops up on it. The bottom is all tore up from not lifting it soon enough before vacuuming :oops: and the top is showing wear from the push pins - but this is how it looks today after 3 years. I've never had a problem with dust collecting on it.

Today hubby is assembling my new, more permanent design wall - 1 x 2 wood frame, 2 pieces of 4 x 8 foam insulation, and covered by one layer of muslin and then one newly purchased Queen size Hobbs batting - I got it at Hobby Lobby, so I used my 40% coupon on that $11.99 price. So this pic of the design wall will be the last; she's getting a much-deserved retirement!

butterflywing 06-23-2009 10:07 AM

to cover my wall, it would take two sheets (with very little trimming top and bottom) of 6 x 6. that's over $150+/- with shipping. i think i'll try flannel first.

EDIT: i miscalculated. the walls are 9' tall. so it would take 3 sheets, not 2. 2 across and then 1 split in half to go to the ceiling. remember, my quilts are 98 X 98, oversized queens, and the purpose is to see the entire layout. even with that, the quilt would lay on the floor a little. so it's $156 + for each panel x 3.

butterflywing 06-23-2009 10:10 AM

i tried the flannel pillowcases and they seem to work with blocks and 1/2 yard cuts. i think i'll get enough white king flannel sheets to cover, and if it doesn't work i'll sleep with them. i can always tuck them in. flannel doesn't go anywhere when it's tucked under.

May in Jersey 06-23-2009 10:12 AM

I have beige felt covering insulation boards, some behind my sewing desk and a few boards taped together for a 4 x 4 design board that I can move around to where a need it. Wish I had wall space to have at a least a 8 x 12 design board so I could lay out large quilts. I do have enough space for one that size in the upstairs hallway but there isn't enough room to step back to view the design board.

Picked up some light blue felt and was thinking of attaching it to doors in my sewing room, maybe with velco or double sided tape. What do you gals think? Have any of you used these methods? Room is light blue and felt would blend in nicely and cover some nicks on the doors as well as being design boards. I could have different projects on different doors. May in Jersey

krabadan 06-23-2009 10:49 AM

I use a flannel back tablecloth too.

Lacelady 06-23-2009 03:43 PM

to cover my wall, it would take two sheets (with very little trimming top and bottom) of 6 x 6. that's over $150+/- with shipping. i think i'll try flannel first.

I never said it was cheap, but it is certainly good. I have a 6' x 6' one - would you really need two?
And re the UK, you can get it from
www.quiltdirect.com
I got a smaller one from them only two or three weeks ago.

CRH 06-23-2009 03:54 PM

Lacelady: Glad to hear that you recommend Block Butler. I was about to "build" my own design wall with tri-fold insulation panels and batting, when I found Block Butler at the Omaha quilt show, and bought a 4x8 piece to try. Haven't put it up yet, but looking forward to it!! The best part is no staples, or nails in my wall!!!

Rose Marie 06-23-2009 04:54 PM

El Burns did a segment on making a design wall and used headliner for cars.