Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel purchased from Walmart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-purchased-walmart-t198071.html)

bearisgray 08-19-2012 09:57 AM

Flannel purchased from Walmart

I bought some very dark green $3.49 or $3.79/yard flannel - the tag said double brushed. It felt a bit like felt before I washed it.

I soaked it in hot water in the washer for about three hours - turned the machine off and let it be (I forgot about it and started doing something else) - I washed it with a small amount of laundry detergent on a short gentle cycle and dried it till it was 'hot done' in the dryer.

The shrinkage was much less than I expected - about one inch in length per yard and two inches in width - and the surface did not pill. Also felt much softer and fluffier than when I brought it home. It did not seem to shed very much lint, either.

I was pleasantly surprised.

Greenheron 08-19-2012 10:02 AM

Thank you for the review; I love dark flannels. Is the material 100% cotton, did it bleed any?

bearisgray 08-19-2012 10:08 AM

Yes, it is 100% cotton.

The water turned med green - the rinse water was very pale green . I would be okay with using it - I washed a piece of lime green cotton-poly with it, and that did not pick up any color.

I would say that it had a bit of excess dye, but it does not appear to be a bleeder to me.

I

Neesie 08-19-2012 11:00 AM

Sounds like their "super flannel" line. WalMart seems to have two grades of flannel and the "super flannel" is VERY nice!

lynnie 08-19-2012 11:14 AM

Thanks, nice to know

JanTx 08-19-2012 10:30 PM

Do you find the Super Flannel in anything but solids? I often use flannel for a quilt back and don't really want to use a solid. I have used their regular flannel with good luck though. If I need 4 yds I buy 4 1/2 - just in case. I haven't measured to check how much shrinkage there is, but usually wash it twice before using.

Rose Marie 08-20-2012 05:43 AM

Awhile back I bought some baby flannel with foot prints on it at Joanns for $1.49 a yard on sale. It was thin and not good quality.
Yesterday I found the same print at Walmart for $4.98. Much heavier and good quality.
Interesting that Walmart is getting better quality fabrics.

bearisgray 08-20-2012 08:45 AM

I have found that SOME of the lower priced cottons seem to be as nice or nicer - in my opinion - than SOME of the LQS lines.

There are several LQS lines that I don't care about at all - one line has very clever prints/designs, but some of the fabrics seem loosely woven with coarse threads. Another line seems sort of thin, flimsy, and stretchy to me. Another line (it may have improved since I bought a lot of those fabrics) had issues with fading.

But it does come down to personal preference - not everyone loves the heft of Kona cottons, for example.

IAmCatOwned 08-20-2012 09:56 AM

What you bought is normally purchased to make diapers or receiving blankets and similar. I can't think of a reason why you can't use it in a quilt other than the double nap would make hand quilting a little more difficult. Maybe not. I cut out a bunch of that stuff for a friend who was on bed rest. She hand stitched all the diapers. Came out well.

kay carlson 08-20-2012 10:45 AM

Thanks for your info.... I'll have to check out Walmart's flannel selection as I purchase coordinating prints to make burps cloths. Yes, I always allow for preshrinkage before construction. :-)