Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   flannel quilt - do you bind with flannel? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-quilt-do-you-bind-flannel-t261458.html)

meyert 02-18-2015 05:41 PM

flannel quilt - do you bind with flannel?

I am working on a flannel quilt for my couch... and I am thinking about the binding. I have made flannl baby quilts in the past and did bind them with flannel. I wasn't really thrilled with that. When mitered the corners it seemed bulky. So I am wondering what others do. Do you bind with flannel? or go to cotton for the binding?

bakermom 02-18-2015 05:57 PM

I do both, but agree with you about the bulkiness of flannel. It's not so bad if you bring the backing around to the front and self bind using flannel.

Chester the bunny 02-18-2015 06:28 PM

Like Bakermom, I've done both. I also have used a brushed cotton where it feels like cotton on one side and flannelly on the other, not sure what it's called, but it usually comes in plaid almost like a homespun. That way I get the flannel feel and it is not so bulky.

cathyvv 02-18-2015 06:46 PM

Maybe a flannel binding would be less bulky if you rolled it from the backing? Just a thought, I've never tried it.

Another possibility is rounding the corners so that you don't have to miter - another technique I haven't tried!

AngeliaNR 02-18-2015 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 7096132)
Maybe a flannel binding would be less bulky if you rolled it from the backing? Just a thought, I've never tried it.

Another possibility is rounding the corners so that you don't have to miter - another technique I haven't tried!

I've done both of these, and both work! :)

meyert 02-19-2015 04:41 AM

cathyvv - good idea of rounding the corners.. I am going to think about that :) I have pulled the backing to the front to bind before and I agree it does seem less bulky that way. Chester the bunny - I am going to check around for that brushed cotton fabric you mentioned. I have never heard of that before Thanks everyone

Sewnoma 02-19-2015 06:32 AM

When I back with flannel I almost always bring it around to the front. Exception is for scrappy quilts; I like to bind scrappy quilts with binding scraps (since I keep those, too!)

ManiacQuilter2 02-19-2015 07:48 AM

The binding it the first thing to fail on a quilt so I have always used the double fold cotton especially since it is not as stretchy as flannel.

DresiArnaz 02-19-2015 08:12 AM

I made a crib blanket out of plaid flannel for my son when he was a baby. I used a fleece backing and cut it large so I could use the fleece backing for binding. I tied it with old yarn and used double batting. (I was dirt poor with a very cold house!)

oklahomamom2 02-19-2015 09:00 PM

I just want to say I'm glad that you asked this question because I just got finished with flannel quilt that is going to have to be done something with the when it comes to the binding. I have never binned one before and didn't want the corners all bulky. The in put of others helped me decide what I want to do with my quilt. Thank you