Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-quilt-t3700.html)

DebJ 12-20-2007 10:18 PM

I have been thinking of making a flannel quilt. :) I haven't ever done so before so I really don't know where to begin. :shock: I could use some advice/wise guidence here. Patrice got any instructions? 8)

Celeste 12-21-2007 12:44 AM

Hmmm, maybe I should have done this before- just started, so no advise yet. :D

Knot Sew 12-21-2007 04:33 AM

Flannel does shrink , so prewashing is a must, otherwise it can be treated like any other fabric. If you are doing it rag style read the many posts available.
These are wonderful to roll up when it is cold,and it is so soft against the skin. :D :D

patricej 12-21-2007 04:59 AM

ruth has hit the nail right on the head. i would add just one word of caution.

flannel is popular for rag quilts because it frays so easily. soooo, if i use flannel for a regular quilt, i sew 1/2" seams using an overlock stitch instead of the usual 1/4" straight stitch. i also quilt in the ditch of all seams to add stability.

these precautions may not be necessary but waaaaaaaaaaaay back in the beginning of my quilting adventures i used a 1/4" seam on fabric that frayed more easily than the others. it fell apart in the first wash. :shock:

sooooooooo ... i take no more chances.

Flying_V_Goddess 12-21-2007 10:17 PM

Definatly pre-wash (flannel is known to shrink). The edges fray quite a bit in the wash (not a whole lot, but enough) so be prepared to cut off a lot of knotted thread off the edges after you get done washing and drying it.

ripstitch 12-22-2007 03:57 AM

You've got the best advice - prewash (and I use the dryer too since flannel seems to continue to shrink otherwise) and 1/2" seam is a must. I don't know why some pattterns using flannel indicate a 1/4" seam, but they do and it could be a disaster if you use it.

Best of luck to you, Helen

Retired 12-22-2007 06:10 AM

I have to ask what temperature water do you use?
Do you use different temperature for wash and rinse?
Do you use just plain water?
I've been reading postings that say to wash the material but for us dummies, just starting out, what temperature water should be used?

ripstitch 12-22-2007 06:31 AM

I use warm water only because I want to maximize the shrinkage before hand. My washer automatically rinses in cold. Have you ever bought a pair of flannel pajamas that fit great at first, but noticed with repeated washing and drying, they shrink? I have, so thats why I use warm and dry in the dryer. I don't mind a little shrinkage in the finished quilt since I like an aged look, but a lot of shrinkage just distorts the patchwork. I know of some people who recommend several washings. I let the quality of the fabric and the results of the first wash determine if additional washing is needed (think quilt shop quality vs lesser quality) and I measure after the first washing to kind of guage the percentage of shrinkage. I also buy additional yardage to allow for shrinkage.

I hope this helps. I may be wrong, but I don't know of any standard guildlines about the amount of shrinkage to expect. Maybe quilt shops or manufacturers know that info.

Helen

dgwatson 12-23-2007 09:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished a 65x65 flannel quilt using the free bargello pattern on the Husqvarna Viking website. (The attached pic does not do it justice.) I used plaid flannels and 100% cotton borders, backing, batting & binding. WOW, what a striking quilt. The quilting I used was stitch in the ditch, then cross-hatched corner-to-corner across the flannel squares using the walking foot on the Designer SE. I thought that would be the easiest and cause less distortion. I also made a matching pillow case with the leftover "tube", but did it Sliding Bricks style using matching backing fabric as in the quilt.

Good luck with yours! This is the perfect time of year to cuddle up with a flannel quilt!

Di

Flannel Bargello Quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]6309[/ATTACH]

annmarie 12-24-2007 08:25 PM

Wow! That is a beautiful flannel quilt - can't wait to find the pattern. But I think it is your fabric choices that make it awesome. You have a good eye for color. So cozy!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: