Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel Rag Quilt Lint and Fuzz! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-rag-quilt-lint-fuzz-t171434.html)

Denise S 12-08-2011 09:06 PM

Flannel Rag Quilt Lint and Fuzz!

How do you all get rid of the lint and fuzz that is stuck to the flannel rag quilt after washing it? A lint brush helps a little bit, but I mostly use a fabric shaver. I am making about 10 of them for Christmas and I am wearing down the batteries in the fabic shaver. I am making a few cotton ones also...they are easier, because there is no lint stuck to them.

Any other way to de-fuzz?

GRANNYMO 12-08-2011 09:18 PM

I have not had much problem with lint, but I have never made a rag quilt with all flannel. I usually use denim or cotton for the top an flannel for the back. Did you use fabric softener, that should help some. I can sympathize with this, it would be a real pain to have to "shave" each quilt.

Denise S 12-08-2011 09:22 PM

I did not use fabric softener in the wash or dryer sheets in the dryer. I will try that next time. I might be making 1 or 2 more for Christmas.

Jim 12-08-2011 09:23 PM

I've made probably 20 flannel rag quilts and have never had that problem...wash it once in hot water and dry it and its done...just had to clean out the lint filter on the dryer every couple minutes...teaching a class on them tomorrow night

Denise S 12-08-2011 09:28 PM

I washed (cold water) and dried mine twice. I used a regular cycle, not gentle. Do you think a gentle cycle would help? fabric softener?

I am getting tired of shaving every square both front and back.

Tartan 12-08-2011 09:29 PM

Are you talking about loose threads or the little fabric pills? Loose threads I get with the sticky kind of fabric roller. Pills usually occur on poorer quality flannels but not always. If it's pills, keep shaving.

Denise S 12-08-2011 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 4764692)
Are you talking about loose threads or the little fabric pills? Loose threads I get with the sticky kind of fabric roller. Pills usually occur on poorer quality flannels but not always. If it's pills, keep shaving.

The loose threads come off easy with the lint brush. It is not fabric pills, but more like lint balls that are stuck to the flannel. Some squares are ok, and others are worse.

gotta-sew 12-08-2011 09:54 PM

Try using nylon netting in the dryer. It's a bit scratchy and seems to remove the lint as you dry the quilt. My customers that make alot of rag quilts say this works. good luck.

Denise S 12-09-2011 05:37 AM

[QUOTE=gotta-sew;4764716]Try using nylon netting in the dryer. It's a bit scratchy and seems to remove the lint as you dry the quilt. My customers that make alot of rag quilts say this works. good luck.[/QUOTE

Do you mean like the nylon netting bags that you would wash delicates in?

itwrx4me 12-09-2011 05:50 AM

I read somewhere to place the quilt into a bag - like a large pillow case to wash it in. I'm working on my first one right now and now I'm wondering if I'll have the same issue! Sure hope not