Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel Rag Quilt Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-rag-quilt-question-t166119.html)

eimay 11-04-2011 05:25 PM

Flannel Rag Quilt Question

If the rag quilt is made from flannel, do you still need to place a middle layer of flannel as batting? I'm concerned it might get too heavy weightwise. Thanks in advance for your help.

Peckish 11-04-2011 05:29 PM

It's a personal choice. I have a quilt that is flannel back, flannel top, with W&N batting in the middle - and it's the most popular quilt in my house. On the flip side, I know quilters who only use 2 layers and are perfectly happy.

You could try spreading out 2 layers of flannel on your lap as you sit on the couch, then add a third layer and see how much heavier it is. This won't be the same weight as your rag quilt, because a pieced top will weigh more, but it will give you an idea of how much added weight will be in the quilt if you add a middle layer.

MonkeeGirl 11-04-2011 05:36 PM

Personally, I like the 3 layers better. Seems to lay better. Although, a lap quilt won't be near as heavy as a queen/king no matter how many layers you have. Good luck either way!

SherryW 11-04-2011 05:43 PM

I also want to make a rag quilt out of flannel. I started cutting the squares and when I looked at them they were not actually square, so I'm not so sure this will be as easy as it appears. I'll see how it works out eventually. I will be doing it in three layers. I want to make one of these because I know they will be so cozy warm and soft.

sharon b 11-04-2011 05:45 PM

I think a lot depends on how warm you want it - I use three layers but here in Indiana the winters are brutal cold so need the extra warmth :o

CanoePam 11-04-2011 06:02 PM

I have made both types. The ones with batting in the middle are very, very warm. If that's what you want, I admit it looks nice but it is also relatively stiff (at least with the Warm and Natural I used). However it is too warm for just laying over my legs in the living room even in the winter. The ones with just 2 layers of flannel are better as a lap rug in the evening. I also generally use just two layers of flannel in the baby quilts so they drap better around the baby.

Pam

sewwhat85 11-04-2011 06:08 PM

if your flannel is a nice weight you dont need to but it will help with the fluffiness of your seams

athomenow 11-04-2011 06:11 PM

I've made a lot of rag quilts and have only ever used 2 layers of flannel. Mine are heavy and I don't think we would like the third layer. It is a personal choice though so try a couple of small different ones and see what you think. Mine all fluffed out fine and I quilted by putting an X through the square. Lot of ways to make a rag quilt I guess.

caquiltingdeb 11-04-2011 06:27 PM

I have made 2 rag quilts and didn't realize until recently that you could use flannel for the middle layer or just use 2 layers of flannel. I'm going to try just the 2 layers of flannel next time.

Deb

Essiescott 11-04-2011 06:36 PM

To me it might depend on where you live. I made one years ago, with w&n in it---it was way too heavy, and way too hot. But I live in Houston, so that might be a reason.