Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-t147809.html)

Lynneander 08-25-2011 10:35 AM

I just saw the cutest pattern that would be perfect using flannel. The only problem is that I have never quilted with flannel before. Do you still pre-wash the flannel as you would cotton fabric? Do you use the same backing and batting as you would in a traditioinal cotton fabric quilt?

Any help and tips will be so appreciated!

jljack 08-25-2011 10:37 AM

I don't enjoy quilting with flannel. It's kind of thick and bulky, and I am not fond of it. I wouldn't mix other fabrics with it unless you wash and dry it several times to be sure it shrinks as much as it's going to. It does shrink quite differently than regular quilting cotton.

NJ Quilter 08-25-2011 10:38 AM

I used flannel as a backing to a traditional cotton pieced top and my normal W&N batting with no issues. Yes, I did prewash the flannel, but I do that will all my fabric. FWIW, it was a Moda Marbles flannel and was fabulous to work with. Very nice hand, no fuzz. Would highly recommend their flannel.

waddley 08-25-2011 10:58 AM

I love working with good flannels. I prewash (hot water) and dry all of my flannels twice. I also use a bit of starch before cutting.

GrannieAnnie 08-25-2011 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Lynneander
I just saw the cutest pattern that would be perfect using flannel. The only problem is that I have never quilted with flannel before. Do you still pre-wash the flannel as you would cotton fabric? Do you use the same backing and batting as you would in a traditioinal cotton fabric quilt?

Any help and tips will be so appreciated!

Don't get hung up on terms. Flannel is a weave/finish and can be cotton or other fibers. Cotton is a fiber, can be anything from the finest lawn to the heaviest canvas or sailcloth, including flannel.

If you are using sleepwear weight flannel, be sure to wash it a couple times in HOT water and machine dry to make sure it's shrunk all it's going to.

isnthatodd 08-25-2011 12:43 PM

I have finished all but the outside border of a flannel pieced quilt top that is 6 ft by 6 ft. It has worked well so far, but I did use 1/2 inch seams. The hardest part was squaring up after I had washed it. You do lose a bit of fabric, but it's worth it.

marilynr 08-25-2011 01:01 PM

I love using flannel, but did learn using 1/2 inch seams is
a good idea. And definitely prewash.

Jim's Gem 08-25-2011 01:25 PM

WASH IT first!!! I have usually used 1/2" seams. It is a little more "stretchy"
If you use a batting with it, it will be quite warm. My daughter LOVES my flannel rag quilt. She loves the weight of it. It has flannel on both sides and warm & natural in the middle. My DH, however, gets way too hot with that quilt and has only used it when he was sick!

PaperPrincess 08-25-2011 01:59 PM

wash it several times, until it stops shrinking.

Lynneander 08-25-2011 02:40 PM

From the posts I'm realizing the flannel will shrink more than I thought. Do you purchase extra yardage than required on the directions to accommodate for shrinkage? If so, what amount ... 1/8th yard?