Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-t82396.html)

CutNup 12-12-2010 03:15 PM

Ok, don't forget I'm new to quilting and prone to asking questions with obvious answers,sooo, if I piece a quilt top with 8inch flannel squares,could I use a flannel backing? And would I need to use batting? Also, how would I bind it? I have made a rag quilt with 3 layers of flannel. I prewashed all fabric. Thanks for any help!!
Barb(-_-)

Holice 12-12-2010 03:16 PM

you say you have made a rag quilt. Then the batting and backing should already be there. Edges are usually clipped so doent require binding. Do I understand your question correctly

CutNup 12-12-2010 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
you say you have made a rag quilt. Then the batting and backing should already be there. Edges are usually clipped so doent require binding. Do I understand your question correctly

The rag quilt is another quilt,just wanted to say I have worked with flannel a little bit. I want to make a regular pieced quilt out of flannel.

amma 12-12-2010 03:22 PM

You wouldn't have to use a batting, if you think the 2 layers will be warm enough. Some will just use a piece of flannel for the batting too, if they think that traditional batting may make it to warm :D:D:D

CutNup 12-12-2010 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by amma
You wouldn't have to use a batting, if you think the 2 layers will be warm enough. Some will just use a piece of flannel for the batting too, if they think that traditional batting may make it to warm :D:D:D

How would I bind it?

Japonica 12-12-2010 03:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi!
I also am new. Just made a rag quilt for DGD and it turned out cute. I first cut out all my blocks. I made them 6 inches square.
I cut the batting 5 inch square. Then I sewed all three pieces together; front, batting and back with a 1" seam allowance. Then I sewed an "X" in the middle of the blocks to quilt them. I then sewed the rows, then sewed the rows together and clipped with rag quilt shears. Attached (hopefully) is a picture. I have never sewn anything in my life and am quite proude of this. I got on You Tube and saw a wonderful video form Minnesota Quilts on how to mak a tube pillowcase. So I made that to match the quilt.

ccb2200 12-12-2010 03:27 PM

I made a flannel quilt and I used flannel for the top and back and then I put a piece of flannel in the middle and quilted it. I then used flannel for the binding. It turned out really nice.

Japonica 12-12-2010 03:28 PM

Oops, sorry gave wrong answer. Thought you were making a rag quilt currently.

CutNup 12-12-2010 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Japonica
Oops, sorry gave wrong answer. Thought you were making a rag quilt currently.

Didn't make myself clear, sorry. Thanks!

CutNup 12-12-2010 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by ccb2200
I made a flannel quilt and I used flannel for the top and back and then I put a piece of flannel in the middle and quilted it. I then used flannel for the binding. It turned out really nice.

Just what I needed to know! Thanks!