Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel or Thin Batting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-thin-batting-t44642.html)

Simple Pleasure 05-02-2010 06:18 AM

I am making quilted Christmas stockings for my twin grandsons. The directions suggest placing a piece of flannel behind the pieced stocking front and quilting...no backing. Does anyone think a better choice might be a thin batting and a piece of muslin for backing? I will be hand quilting these.
Patricia

Rhonda 05-02-2010 07:42 AM

I'm curious how old are your twins. We have 6 yr old twin grandsons.

Simple Pleasure 05-02-2010 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
I'm curious how old are your twins. We have 6 yr old twin grandsons.

Michael and Matthew turned 2 1/2 years old yesterday! My husband and I babysit them on a daily basis...this continues to bring us great joy. Their sister, Emma, was born this St. Patrick's Day!

Jois 05-02-2010 08:39 AM

I'd still say thin batting is better than just flannel. What does you hand quilting look like with just flannel? Mine didn't look very good.

Have fun with your grands!

Jois

Simple Pleasure 05-02-2010 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jois
I'd still say thin batting is better than just flannel. What does you hand quilting look like with just flannel? Mine didn't look very good.

Have fun with your grands!

Jois

Never thought of taking a few sample stitches with the flannel...will give this a try!
Thank you
Patricia

amma 05-02-2010 09:24 AM

I think you can use whatever looks the best to your eyes :D:D:D

craftybear 05-02-2010 09:48 AM

have fun making them and let us know how it turns out!

Holice 05-02-2010 10:01 AM

if there is no backing how will the stocking hold the little trinkets Santa will leave. I make the front like a quilt with think batting or it could be flannel to give it some stability and then a separated back. However could be quilted onto the flannel and then the separated back.
A stocking is a stocking not a flat piece like a wallhanging.
Did I read your original post correctly. If not then I apologize.

Simple Pleasure 05-02-2010 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
if there is no backing how will the stocking hold the little trinkets Santa will leave. I make the front like a quilt with think batting or it could be flannel to give it some stability and then a separated back. However could be quilted onto the flannel and then the separated back.
A stocking is a stocking not a flat piece like a wallhanging.
Did I read your original post correctly. If not then I apologize.

After the pieced front is quilted, a stocking back and a front and back stocking liner are joined together to form the traditional Christmas stocking!
Thanks for writing
Patricia

PMY in QCA-IL 05-02-2010 10:15 AM

In that case (quilted before the lining is added) be sure to use a batting which does not stretch if you choose to use batting. A good flannel may be a better choice- be sure to prewash it so it won't shrink.