Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fleece backing is backwards, problem? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fleece-backing-backwards-problem-t208900.html)

outdoor_gal 12-20-2012 04:21 PM

Fleece backing is backwards, problem?

I am in the process of tying my 1st quilt. It is jelly roll stripes and has fleece backing with no batting since i wanted it to be more lightweight. Now that I am halfway through tying it, I have realized the wrong side of the fleece is on the outside. It is for my daughter who is 3 and I am sure she won't care so I am just wondering if the fleece will "wear" differently since it is backwards? Do I need to undo the ties and start over?

DebraK 12-20-2012 04:39 PM

well, if it is not really sewn on, I would. It will look and feel so much better.

Prism99 12-20-2012 05:46 PM

If the fleece feels okay to the touch, I would just continue and leave as is. A 3yo isn't going to care.

jemma 12-20-2012 08:44 PM

keep going--she will love it

Connie M. 12-20-2012 09:46 PM

It might pill a little more than the right side would, but I wouldn't take it out and redo. Another tip on all fleece...do NOT use fabric softener or dryers sheets. It won't make it fluffier, it will make it gummy feeling. Use those dryer balls, or crumple up aluminum foil balls to get rid of static electricity.

willferg 12-21-2012 07:20 AM

I think it will be fine. I wouldn't take it apart.

homebody323 12-21-2012 07:26 AM

If it's a solid color fleece, I would just go on. No biggie. Spend the time, playing with her, that's more important anyway. She won't remember you spending time to make her quilt perfect - she will remember you doing something silly and fun with her. Build a tent in the living room, make a snack and crawl in there and have a camping adventure. That's the kind of thing that really counts.
Once when my kids were 10,11, 12 they were getting owly about something, I fixed myself a lemonade, sipped a few minutes and the pretended to be a bit tipsy - told them I was going surfing and pretended to do so on the kitchen floor. I don't drink and that's why they really took notice. They are now 44 and down. They often recall the time mom got drunk and surfed on the kitchen floor. This was special to them - my mother died in a car accident when I was 9 - I have NO memories of her - I wanted to be sure that whatever happened my kids remembered me!

GrannieAnnie 12-21-2012 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by outdoor_gal (Post 5731804)
I am in the process of tying my 1st quilt. It is jelly roll stripes and has fleece backing with no batting since i wanted it to be more lightweight. Now that I am halfway through tying it, I have realized the wrong side of the fleece is on the outside. It is for my daughter who is 3 and I am sure she won't care so I am just wondering if the fleece will "wear" differently since it is backwards? Do I need to undo the ties and start over?

If you got this far without seeing the difference, I'd certainly not undo anything. I see no reason for the fleece to wear any differently on the wrong side.

hperttula123 12-21-2012 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie (Post 5732894)
If you got this far without seeing the difference, I'd certainly not undo anything. I see no reason for the fleece to wear any differently on the wrong side.

I agree. If it's not really noticeable, I would just leave it. They make throws that are just one layer of fleece and they don't wear differently, so I see no issue with it.

outdoor_gal 12-21-2012 09:43 AM

Thanks everyone! I will leave it and probably be the only one who knows it is on backwards :)

Sally - LOL! I remember times with my mom like that too. Thanks for some perspective!