Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fleece Backing....Do You Quilt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fleece-backing-do-you-quilt-t307027.html)

quiltingshorttimer 09-21-2019 07:16 PM

I did 4 lapquilts last Christmas for the kids and used a minky type back on all. They worked great on the long arm (just get the stretch side-to-side) and I bound with regular cotton.

Rose_P 09-23-2019 06:03 PM

I have made three like this. I quilt them in my usual way, which is on an embroidery machine using designs that are meant for quilting. Usually they're a single run of stitches similar to what we would do on a sewing machine. I was pleasantly surprised when I tried it because I had no problems with stretching, and the stitching shows up nicely on the fleece side. An additional benefit is the nice way they drape over a couch. They are cuddly.

Editing because I forgot to say that I bound mine just as I would other quilts.

staceybard 12-16-2019 08:12 AM

I recently backed a quilt in fleece. I took my quilt to a long armer to be quilted. The fleece makes the quilting stand out. It's a poofy look, which was great for a kid's quilt. However my mom did the binding for me from the same quilting cotton used on the quilt top. According to her, using a fleece backing made the binding difficult because of the thickness and because you can't get your iron as hot with fleece. Also, we had to cut much wider binding strips to account for the thickness of the fleece.

meyert 12-16-2019 08:17 AM

I have done alot of quilts with fleece backing .. and minky. I used batting and quilted as normal. I didn't have any problems. I bound as I would any other quilt with 2-1/2" strips

Krisb 12-16-2019 08:38 AM

Like others, when backing with fleece, I use no batting, quilt and bind with cotton. It works best if the quilt is no wider than the fleece, since there is some bulk in the seams. Have never has trouble with stretching. Fleece backed quilts are super warm, so have not done any since we moved south 10 years ago. Even in NE MN, never needed fleece backing and batting.

cathyvv 12-16-2019 08:45 AM

Yes, you need somewhat wider binding strips. But why in the world do you need to iron when you're binding? If you want to press the binding before you try to apply it to the quilt, great, but after that, why?

Tish05 12-16-2019 08:55 AM

I've only made a couple of quilts so far, but have used fireside fleece as a backing on all 4 of them. Three are queen sized and I quilted them on my DSM which has an 11" throat. I cut my binding on two of them at 2.5" and it was OK, but on the last two I decided to cut at 3" and sew it on with a 1/2" seam and I think I liked that better. Fireside is called adult minky. It has a nap, but not as pronounced as the minky. It's 60" wide so I seamed it down the back. I used a 1" seam allowance so they would lie fairly flat and the seam isn't really that noticeable. I could tell when I did my FMQ when I hit the double layer of fleece, but it didn't change the way the machine sewed. I really love it, and would use it anytime I wanted a quilt to be warm and cozy. I also used Hobbs 80/20 batting with no problems. There are pictures in my album.

staceybard 12-16-2019 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by cathyvv (Post 8340963)
Yes, you need somewhat wider binding strips. But why in the world do you need to iron when you're binding? If you want to press the binding before you try to apply it to the quilt, great, but after that, why?

My mom likes to do the binding on the machine and with glue basting. You need the iron to set the glue.

ILoveToQuilt 12-17-2019 03:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Quilt is still waiting to be finished - it's in my stack of PhDs for now.

ckcowl 12-17-2019 05:22 AM

I quilt my quilts with fleece and Minky backs. They are beautiful quilted. I generally bind with cotton ( cut a bit wider than usual) but I have folded over to the front fleece backing and stitched for binding a few times.