Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fleece backing???? Flannel batting?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fleece-backing-flannel-batting-t180865.html)

jumpin' judy 02-27-2012 06:04 AM

Fleece backing???? Flannel batting??

I have been asked to make a baby quilt with a fleece backing. She wants red to boot! Has anyone ever used fleece for backing? I suspect it is going to stretch and fill my machine with red fuzz. Also I plan to use white flannel instead of batting so that the red won't show through the light fabric on the front. I'm thinking batting will make it too heavy. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

romanojg 02-27-2012 06:12 AM

My daughter made a baby quilt with fleece backing but regular batting. It turned out great. Yes, there is somestretching. It was a large block (8in) quilt (she's new) so she stitched in the ditch and the tied the rest of it off with varigated thread so that it'd hold up but it was really pretty when it was done.

dd 02-27-2012 06:15 AM

What if you ironed on that light weight knit interfacing,like you would use for a Tshirt quilt? That would stablize it so it wouldn't stretch but not give it any weight or too much stiffness. Do you still bind it the same way?

Helovesme 02-27-2012 06:23 AM

I recently made a baby quilt using flannel on the front and one large piece of fleece for the back. It came out much better than I expected...the quilting on the fleece looks fabulous. I didn't notice a stretching or moving problem, but I'm a crazy pin baster so I don't run into that problem. There was a lot of fuzz and I just made it a point to clean it out more often. I bound it with flannel - machine stitched to the front, hand finished it to the back and was really pleased at how it turned out and how easy it was. I'm mustering up the courage to use minky next time...hope this helps.

Edited to add: I did not use any batting - just the flannel top and fleece backing.

Johanna Fritz 02-27-2012 06:27 AM

I made 4 charity quilts (kid size) last year and didn't want to mess with binding edge etc since we were rushed. I sewed fleece on the back of each, right sides together, leaving a small opening and turning it inside out. I then stitched the small hole closed, pressed it, and stitched in the ditch. I was SOOOoooo soft of a back, and super fast. I did not put in batting. The fleece was "puffy enough" and then was not too heavy when done. The kids loved them.

jumpin' judy 03-02-2012 06:53 AM

Thanks for your help. I tried a small sample using the monofilament thread. Looks great! I was really surprised. I did tightened the tension and no longer had that loosey goosey bobbin situation. Again, thanks for your advice.

Quilted Dogs 03-11-2012 06:39 PM

Thanks for this question, I was wondering myself on a fleece backing with flannel, thanks....

pattilynn 03-16-2012 10:39 AM

Fleece is much softer and warmer. I love it