Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fleece or minky for backing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fleece-minky-backing-t221014.html)

cricut_farmer 05-08-2013 05:42 AM

fleece or minky for backing

I used fleece to back a throw quilt for my husband and now everyone wants me to use fleece on their quilts. But when I started researching fleece backings, instead of just doing it, I got confused. Do you prefer Minky or fleece? Why? Do you normally include batting? Why or why not? What type of Minky and/or fleece do you use for backing -anti-pill or double brushed? And all the types of Minky - Wow! - any preferences? Is embossed okay? My local JoAnn's does not carry Minky but claims their store brand is the same - agree/disagree? And finally I've found some good places to buy fleece but where is the best place to buy Minky? I shop online but live in the Baltimore/DC area, will be in Lancaster this Friday and the Seattle/ Portland area the end of the month. So online or local what is your favorite Minky source?

willferg 05-08-2013 06:41 AM

I use fleece all the time because I don't make anything bigger than a lap quilt. I prefer the anti-pill because I don't like the look of pilling. I often use batting because I like the weight and heftiness of the resulting quilt, but I've gone without. I've also found other fleece that was really thick and then skipped batting.

I like Minky, too, but I find it just a little bit harder to work with and it doesn't come in a 60" wide width. Also, some brands of it shed like crazy when you cut it, which is annoying. But it is so soft! I think the Joann's brand is fine.

I also use that really really soft fabric that you find in throws that are store purchased. I don't know what the name is, but at Joann's I think it's Soft N Comfy? Anyway, I've found prehemmed throws at Ross for under $10 that are 50"x60". I use those often as well.

michelleoc 05-08-2013 06:57 AM

I like working with fleece - I get the anti-pill kind and I use batting. I like the weight of it. Minky - I absolutely HATE working with it but I have a client that wants all of her blankets backed with Minky, so I use it. It's such a pain to work with and when you cut it, it goes everywhere. I've gotten the store brand at JoAnn's, as well as at my LQS when it's on sale, and I use batting on those blankets as well. Unfortunately, I can't give you any tips on buying online, as I have never done that.

meyert 05-08-2013 07:31 AM

I use fleece backing alot... I have never used Minky but have thought about it. I recently found picotextiles.com and I like them alot. They have lots of different patterns... but so far everything that I have bought had a 2 yard min cut (which was fine for my projects) I also really like Fabric.com. If you spend $35 there you get free shipping - and free is good... but then I just buy more :)

MartiMorga 05-08-2013 07:39 AM

Great question, I have wondering the same. Would love to have a throw with either fleece or minky for the backing and have been wondering. Thanks for asking all these experienced quilters.

WTxRed 05-08-2013 08:20 AM

I've used Minky on 5 or 6 quilts so far -

it does come in some colors in 60" width (example: http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail....7-62f5792a6a05)

and I've used different piles, designs, embossings - no problems with any of them. They suck the quilting design in and it is awesome looking! I have bought both online (from fabric.com) and from my LQS and I can't tell you any difference in the quality. I have pieced the back to have it larger and again no issues. I had read somewhere there there is a lesser grade minky that some bigger stores carry. I can't address that tho. Maybe someone else has that experience?

I've not used Fleece so I can't do a comparison for you.

I do include batting - never even gave it a thought of not including...

One tip about using Minky - cut it and take it outside and shake the fire out of it to get the loose threads and shedding off of it.

Try one - people seem to LOVE the Minky!

Maggiem 05-08-2013 08:23 AM

I've made three fleece-backed quilts - a wheelchair size, a lap quilt and now a bed quilt. I love working with fleece, it sews beautifully and doesn't stretch during quilting. Glue-basting works well on it.

I used batting on one of the quilts, for extra warmth, but I'm not sure it's really needed. The fleece is so cuddly and warm. I only hope that it will keep its qualities over the years. I can't say anything about minky because it isn't sold here.

Pollytink 05-08-2013 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 6052071)
I also use that really really soft fabric that you find in throws that are store purchased. I don't know what the name is, but at Joann's I think it's Soft N Comfy? Anyway, I've found prehemmed throws at Ross for under $10 that are 50"x60". I use those often as well.

I used two of these I got at Kroger for about $5-6 on two throws for Christmas and they seem to be fine. I had a red one that I washed with some white "dot" minky in warm/hot water and the red tinted the white! Don't know how long the tint will stay but it went well with the Fairy throw! The "minky" I have I think I got at JA's a couple of years ago....the dot pattern, and it didn't shed at all when cut. Nice and soft even without pile.

Pam B 05-08-2013 11:57 AM

I prefer fleece. If the quilt top is from flannel fabrics, I do not use a batting. I have made several...they are favorites because they are soft and cuddly. I would not use minkee for a full size quilt...for one thing, the cost would prohibitive. I only use minkee to back baby quilts.

kamaiarigby 05-08-2013 12:20 PM

I have used fleece in a QAUG string quilt, I did use batting scraps I made this into a lap quilt it is so warm and cuddly I will make more of theses