Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fleece for a quilt back (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fleece-quilt-back-t299816.html)

Iceblossom 09-26-2018 07:50 AM

Fleece for a quilt back

I haven't done this before but I've been considering it for my current top. Baby blanket of quilted sail boats on the front, and Daddy is a big Seahawk fan so I have a piece of team fleece for the back. Yesterday I saw a darling fabric (on sale even) to make a traditional back so as usual I am second guessing myself.

I'm not planning on using any batting, just the fleece. I'll probably use a rather large meander for the quilting design or maybe the clam shell all over design.

Have any of you done this? Any opinions/things to report?

I was going to bind it standard fashion but it occurred to me last night that I could probably just fold over the fleece to the front and zigzag down the raw edge.

Always grateful for the input!

ekuw 09-26-2018 08:05 AM

Yes, I've made a couple of quilts with just fleece for the back. They turn our really nice, very soft. One of the quilts was a t-shirt quilt so with the stiffer t-shirts on the front, I thought the fleece would make the overall quilt more pliable. Success! I did my binding just like a regular quilt/back.

1000scraps 09-26-2018 09:18 AM

My last quilts for babys or little children are all made with fleece as backing: but I too use a light batting between top and backing! In my opinion the quilts feel better, cuddlier, softer...
And my advice: my quilting is not so dense so that the quilt remains soft and cuddly!
If a picture is allowed I can show some of mine!

Cari-in-Oly 09-26-2018 09:24 AM

I've made several quilts with fleece backs. Some I did with traditional binding and some I just folded the fleece to the front and stitched it down. Either way works just fine.

Cari

Iceblossom 09-26-2018 09:25 AM

Pictures, show pictures!

I was concerned that even a thin batt would make it too thick but I'm also concerned that no batting will just make it flat, and I know I don't need/want to quilt it heavily.

I just got done making the sail boats themselves. Think I will go with the fleece since (a) I already bought it and (b) I designed the quilt to fit the width of the fleece. So I still will put on some more "sky" (top and sides) and each block will have a different ocean print (bottom). Then I have some "foot prints in the sand" fabric to use for sashing. If I go with the traditional back, it will be too wide for one width of fabric (unless I don't add the sky).

1000scraps 09-26-2018 09:45 AM

6 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]601709[/ATTACH]

This is the front....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601710[/ATTACH]

... and the back with fleece and little quilting!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601711[/ATTACH]

This is a panel for a baby quilt....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601712[/ATTACH]

... and the fleece backing!
I love fleece as backing!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601715[/ATTACH]

this quilt I made for my "car crazy" grandson and I found a fleece with cars for the backing!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]601716[/ATTACH]

Iceblossom 09-26-2018 10:01 AM

Thanks for the pictures front and back, I'm reconsidering using batting because I really like the look of your projects!

TexasSunshine 09-26-2018 11:20 AM

I made my granddaughter a quilt to carry to football games when she played in the band. She wanted it to be very warm so I put fleece on the the back with a layer of batting in the middle. It was very warm. It quilted up very nice, she loved it.

Jingle 09-26-2018 12:17 PM

I don't use fleece, no room to store it. I use a hi-loft polyester batting. I make donation quilts, everything bought and paid for by me.

cathylynn 09-26-2018 12:31 PM

All of my cuddle quilts have fleece backings. Very easy to sew and I like how the quilting comes thru. My family and friends love the softness.